Enjoy these Thelma and Louise quotes from the one-of-a-kind film.
Thelma and Louise was believed to be an unlikely movie to become a classic. However, it gained wild popularity and even people who have never watched the film know the name and the basic concept of how the movie ends.
If you happen to have never seen it, it’s a film about two friends who go on a road trip. They face unforeseen situations and end up doing things they didn’t plan on doing. This leads them down a dangerous road that eventually leads to an unusual ending. Enjoy these Thelma and Louise quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these Carrie Bradshaw quotes from the fashionista herself.
Thelma and Louise Quotes about Life and Wisdom
1. “You get what you settle for.” – Louis
2. “I don’t ever remember feeling this awake.” – Thelma
3. “You’ve always been crazy, this is just the first chance you’ve had to express yourself.” – Louise
4. “I’ve always believed if done properly armed robbery doesn’t have to be a totally unpleasant experience.” – J.D.
5. “What’re we gonna say about the robbery? There’s no excuse for that. There’s no such thing as justifiable robbery.” – Louise
6. “Something’s, like, crossed over in me and I can’t go back. I mean I just couldn’t live.” – Thelma
7. “Now if nobody loses their head, nobody will lose their head.” – Thelma
8. “The law is some tricky shit, isn’t it?” – Thelma
9. “You know, certain words and phrases just keep drifting through my mind. Things like, incarceration, cavity search, death by electrocution, life imprisonment, shit like that. You know what I’m sayin’? So do I want to come out alive? I don’t know.” – Louise
10. “Brains will only get you so far and luck always runs out.” – Hal
Thelma and Louise Quotes about Reality
11. “You shoot off a guy’s head with his pants down, believe me, Texas ain’t the place you want to get caught.” – Louise
12. “In the future, when a woman is crying like that, she isn’t having any fun.” – Louise
13. “We’d still get in trouble, we’d still have our lives ruined. You know what else?” – Thelma
14. “Don’t be fooled, he’s no different than any other guy. He knows how to chase and that’s it. Once he’s caught you, he don’t know what to do. So he runs away.” – Louise
15. “I always thought the worst thing that could happen would be to end up old and alone in some crummy apartment with one of those little dogs.” – Louise
16. “We don’t have a whole lotta choice, do we?” – Max
17. “You’re gettin’ in deeper every moment you’re gone.” – Hal
Thelma and Louise Quotes about Hope, Choices, and Freedom
18. “I feel really awake. I don’t recall ever feeling this awake. You know? Everything looks different now. You feel like that? You feel like you got something to live for now?” – Thelma
19. “You’re not gonna give up on me, are ya?” – Thelma
20. “You said you and me was gonna get outta town and, for once, just really let our hair down. Well, darlin’, look out, ’cause my hair is comin’ down!” – Thelma
21. “Everything that we got to lose is gone anyway.” – Thelma
22. “We’re running for our lives; cant you make an exception?” – Thelma
23. “What’d you do, take some kinda pill that makes you say all the right stuff?” – Louise
24. “Funny how so many people wanna buy carpet on a Friday night. You’d almost think they’s want to forget about it for the weekend.” – Thelma
25. “You care more about that car than you do about most people.” – Thelma
26. “Every time we get in trouble, you go blank or plead insanity or some such shit, and this time… Not this time. Everything’s changed now…” – Louise
27. “Let’s keep goin’.” – Thelma
28. “Ya gotta wait for just the right moment, which is something you know instinctively, that can’t be taught.” – J.D.
29. “Nothing’s impossible.” – Sarah
30. “I believe you.” – Louise
Thelma and Louise Quotes about Love and Marriage
31. “I may be the outlaw, darling, but you’re the one stealin’ my heart.” – J.D.
32. “If she calls, just be gentle. You know, like, you’re really happy to hear from her. Like you really miss her. Women love that shit.” – Max
33. “I just flew across two states with that ring in my fuckin’ hand, and uh… you know I hate to fly.” – Jimmy
34. “I mean God gets you something special, I think you oughta pass it on.” – J.D.
35. “No matter what happens, I’m glad I came with you.” – Thelma
36. “You be sweet to ’em, especially your wife. My husband wasn’t sweet to me. Look how I turned out.” – Thelma
37. “Now, I swear three days ago neither one of us would’ve ever pulled a stunt like this, but if you was ever to meet my husband, you’d understand why.” – Thelma
38. “You’re my husband, not my father, Darryl.” – Thelma
39. “Twenty-four isn’t young. I’d already been goin’ out with him ten years when we got married.” – Thelma
40. “You’re kinda the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time.” – Thelma
41. “I think you are so damn beautiful. I mean that. I always have.”
Thelma and Louise Quotes about Growing-Up
42. “He says he’s still too much of a kid himself. He kinda prides himself on being infantile.” – Thelma
43. “Where do you get off behaving that way with women you don’t even know, huh? How’d you feel if someone did that to your mother or your sister or your wife?” – Louise
44. “Look, Thelma, you just gotta stop talking to people. You gotta stop being so open.” – Louise
45. “Mindin’ our own business, why don’t you try it?” – Louise
46. “It’s all your years of waitin’ tables has made you jaded, that’s all.”
47. “If waitin’ tables in a bar don’t make you an expert on human nature, then nothin’ will.” – Lena
48. “Do you think you could ever think of a set of circumstances that would just cause you to haul off and shoot someone?” – Hal
49. “Eighty-eight dollars ain’t gonna make a dent, baby girl.” – Louise
50. “I always wanted to travel. I just never got the opportunity.” – Thelma
Which of these Thelma and Louise quotes is your favorite?
The film gained popularity quickly and was nominated for many awards. The two main actresses, Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis were both nominated for Best Actress, which is almost unheard of. It has become a classic feminist film and has influenced other works and films since its premiere.
Interestingly enough, the leading ladies weren’t originally chosen for the role. There were actually two other sets of actresses—Michelle Pfeiffer and Jodie Foster along with Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn—who were originally cast in the roles. It didn’t end up working out for either set, which led to Sarandon and Davis eventually winning the spots.
If this is a film that you’ve never seen, you will enjoy watching it. If it’s an old favorite in your house, it might be time to break it out and enjoy it again.
Did you enjoy reading these Thelma and Louise quotes and lines? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.