Byron Katie is living evidence that life is truly what we make of it. She is an American author and founder of ‘The Work.’ Some people ask if Byron Katie is real, and the answer is yes indeed! Some of these Byron Katie quotes even focus on understanding reality. Time magazine described her as a “spiritual innovator of the 21st century.” What makes her story so intriguing is how relatable she is to everyone.
Byron Kathleen Mitchell was born in Texas but grew up in California. Her mom was a homemaker, and her father a train engineer. She had a normal upbringing and married her first husband at 19. They had three children, and she began a career in real estate.
While she was married to her second husband she struggled with depression, agoraphobia, overeating, and addiction. She was unhappy in her life and reached out for help, which resulted in her seeking counseling. It was there that she realized the power of her thoughts and challenged her long-held beliefs.
Keep reading to learn more from these Byron Katie quotes about how our beliefs and struggles affect our lives.
Don’t forget to also check out these Louisa May Alcott quotes from the iconic author.
Best Byron Katie quotes about the realities of life
1. “Until you can love what is – everything, including the apparent violence and craziness – you’re separate from the world, and you’ll see it as dangerous and frightening.” ― Byron Katie
2. “Nothing terrible has ever happened except in our thinking. Reality is always good, even in situations that seem like nightmares. The story we tell is the only nightmare that we have lived.” ― Byron Katie
3. “I am a lover of what is, not because I’m a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality. We can know that reality is good just as it is because when we argue with it, we experience tension and frustration. We don’t feel natural or balanced. When we stop opposing reality, action becomes simple, fluid, kind, and fearless.” ― Byron Katie
4. “You can’t have an up without a down. You can’t have a left without a right. This is duality. If you have a problem, you must already have the solution. The question is, do you really want the solution, or do you want to perpetuate the problem?” ― Byron Katie
5. “Reality doesn’t wait for your opinion, vote, or permission, sweetheart. It just keeps being what it is and doing what it does.” ― Byron Katie
6. “Life is the constant opportunity to wake up.” ― Byron Katie
7. “If you want real control, drop the illusion of control; let life have you. It does anyway. You’re just telling yourself the story of how it doesn’t.” ― Byron Katie
Byron Katie quotes about the power of thought
8. “People try so hard to let go of their negative behaviors and thoughts, and it doesn’t work, or it works only for a short time. I didn’t let go of my negative thoughts; I questioned them, and then they let go of me, and so did my addictions and depression.” ― Byron Katie
9. “People who believe their unquestioned thoughts cannot see what is obvious and directly in front of their faces at all times, because they are invested in what they believe to be true. As long as they live out of an unquestioned mind, they must continue to argue with what they believe is happening rather than the reality of what is really happening.” ― Byron Katie
10. “A thought is harmless unless we believe it. It’s not our thoughts, but our attachment to our thoughts, that causes suffering. Attaching to a thought means believing that it’s true, without inquiring. A belief is a thought that we’ve been attaching to, often for years.” ― Byron Katie
11. “Fear has only two causes: the thought of losing what you have or the thought of not getting what you want.” ― Byron Katie
12. “Every single human being is trying his best. We’re all doing the best we can. But when we believe what we think, we have to live out those thoughts. When there’s chaos in our heads, there’s chaos in our lives. When there’s hurt in our thinking, there’s hurt in our lives. Love thy neighbor as thyself? I always have. When I hated me, I hated you. That’s how it works. If I hate someone, I’m mistaking them for me, and solutions remain hidden.” ― Byron Katie
13. “When we question our thoughts, we see that the craziness was never in the world, but in us.” ― Byron Katie
14. “I discovered that when I believed my thoughts, I suffered, but that when I didn’t believe them, I didn’t suffer, and that this is true for every human being. Freedom is as simple as that. I found that suffering is optional. I found a joy within me that has never disappeared, not for a single moment.” ― Byron Katie
15. “I love what I think, and I’m never tempted to believe it. Thoughts are like the wind or the leaves on the trees or the raindrops falling. They’re not personal, they don’t belong to us, they just come and go. When they’re met with understanding, they’re friends.” ― Byron Katie
16. “When a thought hurts, that’s the signal that it isn’t true.” ― Byron Katie
17. “Pay close attention to the particular thoughts you use to deprive yourself of happiness.” ― Byron Katie
18. “The mind’s job is to validate what it thinks.” ― Byron Katie
19. “You can’t have your daughter as long as you have a concept of her. When you get rid of the concept, you meet your daughter for the first time. That’s the way this works.” ― Byron Katie
Byron Katie quotes about self-love and the importance of self-awareness
20. “Just keep coming home to yourself, you are the one who you’ve been waiting for.” ― Byron Katie
21. “Peace doesn’t require two people; it requires only one. It has to be you. The problem begins and ends there.” ― Byron Katie
22″. If you think the cause of your problem is ‘out there,’ you’ll try to solve it from the outside. Take the shortcut: solve it from within.” ― Byron Katie
23. “The only thing you fear is the unreality that you yourself have invented.” ― Byron Katie
24. “It’s not your job to like me – it’s mine.” ― Byron Katie
25. “You’ve never reacted to someone else. You project meaning onto nothing. And you react to the meaning you’ve projected.” ― Byron Katie
26. “If people are living their lives for security and comfort and pleasure, then the mind’s every waking moment will be plotting those things. That’s how it stays identified – as a body, as you.” ― Byron Katie
27. “The most important relationship is the mind’s relationship with itself. In other words, the ultimate – and, really, the only relationship you have is the relationship with your own thoughts.” ― Byron Katie
28. “The world is what you believe it to be, and it changes as you change.” ― Byron Katie
29. “We do not mature through age. We mature in awareness.” ― Byron Katie
30. “If your happiness depends on your children being happy, that makes them your hostages. So stay out of their business, stop using them for your happiness, and be your own happiness. And that way you are the teacher for your children: someone who knows how to live a happy life.” ― Byron Katie
31. “Placing the blame or judgment on someone else leaves you powerless to change your experience; taking responsibility for your beliefs and judgments gives you the power to change them.” ― Byron Katie
Byron Katie quotes about things that happen
32. “We are never really in control. We just think we are when things happen to be going our way.” ― Byron Katie
33. “How do I know it was meant to happen this way? Because it did.” ― Byron Katie
34. “It’s not what happens in life that bothers us. It’s what we’re believing about it that bothers us.” ― Byron Katie
35. “Life is simple. Everything happens for you, not to you. Everything happens at exactly the right moment, neither too soon nor too late. You don’t have to like it… it’s just easier if you do.” ― Byron Katie
36. “Spare yourself from seeking love, approval, or appreciation-from anyone. And watch what happens in reality, just for fun.” ― Byron Katie
37. “You either believe what you think or you question it. There’s no other choice.” ― Byron Katie
38. “What would it be like to let go of wanting things to be other than they are?” ― Byron Katie
Byron Katie quotes about relationships, stress and struggle
39. “Our job is unconditional love. The job of everyone else in our life is to push our buttons.” ― Byron Katie
40. “Stress is an alarm clock that lets you know you’re attached to something not true for you.” ― Byron Katie
41. “The way to truly help someone is for me to not get immersed in their suffering.” ― Byron Katie
42. “An uncomfortable feeling is not an enemy. It’s a gift that says, “Get honest; inquire.” We reach out for alcohol, or television, or credit cards, so we can focus out there and not have to look at the feeling. And that’s as it should be because in our innocence we haven’t known how. So now what we can do is reach out for a paper and a pencil, write thought down and investigate.” ― Byron Katie
43. “When you become a lover of what is, the war is over.” ― Byron Katie
44. “It’s good that it hurts. Pain is the signal that you’re confused, that you’re in a lie.” ― Byron Katie
45. “When you realize that every stressful moment you experience is a gift that points you to your own freedom, life becomes very kind.” ― Byron Katie
46. “I can find only three kinds of business in the universe: mine, yours, and God’s. Much of our stress comes from mentally living out of our business. When I think, “You need to get a job, I want you to be happy, you should be on time, you need to take better care of yourself,” I am in your business. When I’m worried about earthquakes, floods, war, or when I will die, I am in God’s business. If I am mentally in your business or in God’s business, the effect is separation.” ― Byron Katie
47. “Hurt feelings or discomfort of any kind cannot be caused by another person. No one outside me can hurt me. That’s not a possibility. It’s only when I believe a stressful thought that I get hurt. And I’m the one who’s hurting me by believing what I think. This is very good news because it means that I don’t have to get someone else to stop hurting me. I’m the one who can stop hurting me. It’s within my power.” ― Byron Katie
48. “If your beliefs are stressful and you question them, you come to see that they aren’t true – whereas prior to questioning, you absolutely believe them. How can you live in joy when you’re believing thoughts that bring on sadness, frustration, anger, alienation, and loneliness?” ― Byron Katie
49. “Nothing belongs to me. Everything comes and goes. Serenity is an open door.” ― Byron Katie
50. “As long as you think that the cause of your problem is “out there”—as long as you think that anyone or anything is responsible for your suffering—the situation is hopeless. It means that you are forever in the role of victim, that you’re suffering in paradise.” ― Byron Katie
What did you learn from these Byron Katie quotes?
Her time in counseling led to her developing the foundation for ‘The Work.’ Her newfound epiphany based on self-inquiry helped her change her world. She began holding meetings and teaching others to improve their lives and her own. Now, she is a successful author who is happily married to fellow author Stephen Mitchell.
She describes her 1986 epiphany by stating, “ I discovered that when I believed my thoughts, I suffered, but that when I didn’t believe them, I didn’t suffer, and that this is true for every human being. Freedom is as simple as that. I found that suffering is optional. I found a joy within me that has never disappeared, not for a single moment.” There are four questions that the work teaches people to ask themselves:
- Is it true?
- Can you absolutely know that it’s true?
- How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought?
- Who would you be without the thought?
Try asking yourself these next time you are feeling stressed about something and let us know how it works out for you.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Byron Katie quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.