If you love the mischievous grin of the Alice in Wonderland cat, you’re sure to love these Cheshire Cat quotes.
The Cheshire cat reference is most often connected with the character from the story Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland written by Lewis Carroll. While there are other references in English history to a grinning Cheshire cat before this story, thanks to the depiction of the character in film and mainstream media, it’s most often connected with the image of the grinning Disney character.
But from wherever it began doesn’t usually matter. People love this witty and mischievous character all the same.
Don’t forget to also check out these Alice in Wonderland quotes that will send you down the rabbit hole.
Cheshire Cat Quotes About People and Feelings
1. “Visit either you like: they’re both mad.” – Cheshire Cat
2. “We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.” – Cheshire Cat
3. “The proper order of things is often a mystery to me.” – Cheshire Cat
4. “I went to a hunting party once, I didn’t like it. Terrible people. They all started hunting me!” – Cheshire Cat
5. “No one does [play fair] if they think they can get away with it.” – Cheshire Cat
6. “I’m stranger. You’re stranger. Together, we are… strangers.” – Cheshire Cat
7. “Never let anyone drive you crazy; it is nearby anyway and the walk is good for you.” – Cheshire Cat
8. “You see a dog growls when it’s angry, and wags its tail when it’s pleased. Now I growl when I’m pleased, and wag my tail when I’m angry.” – Cheshire Cat
9. “You used to be much more…muchier. You’ve lost your muchness.” – Cheshire Cat
10. “If your stature were an illness, it seems that the Centipede dispenses medicine to make you well.” – Cheshire Cat
11. “If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.” – Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat Quotes About Patience and Self-Reflection
12. “How queer everything is to-day! And yesterday things went on just as usual. I wonder if I’ve been changed in the night?” – Cheshire Cat
13. “Only a few find the way, some don’t recognize it when they do – some… don’t ever want to.” – Cheshire Cat
14. “How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate your condition is not permanent.” – Cheshire Cat
15. “When you’ve understood this scripture, throw it away. If you can’t understand this scripture, throw it away. I insist on your freedom.” – Cheshire Cat
16. “Can you stand on your head?” – Cheshire Cat
17. “I could hardly afford to lose my head.” – Cheshire Cat
18. “Somehow you strayed and lost your way, and now there’ll be no time to play, no time for joy, no time for friends – not even time to make amends.” – Cheshire Cat
19. “I can’t know everything.” – Cheshire Cat
20. “How puzzling all these changes are! I’m never sure what I’m going to be, from one minute to another.” – Cheshire Cat
21. “A rose is still a rose, even hidden under different petals.” – Cheshire Cat
22. “I knew who I was this morning, but I have changed a few times since then.” – Cheshire Cat
23. “Collect what you can. Use it wisely.” – Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat Quotes About Reality and Imagination
24. “Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.” – Cheshire Cat
25. “I am not crazy; my reality is just different from yours.” – Cheshire Cat
26. “Not all who wander are lost.” – Cheshire Cat
27. “The uninformed must improve their deficit, or die.” – Cheshire Cat
28. “I never get involved in politics.” – Cheshire Cat
29. “You may have noticed, I’m not all there myself.” – Cheshire Cat
30. “And no scheme of ours can raise any sort of smile.” – Cheshire Cat
31. “We are all victims in-waiting.” – Cheshire Cat
32. “This way? That way? Does it matter? Left, right, up, down! All mixed up thanks to the shadows! Step deeper into the forest to the deserted garden. You might find shadows in the upside-down room!” – Cheshire Cat
33. “Those who say there’s nothing like a nice cup of tea for calming the nerves never had *real* tea. It’s like a syringe of adrenaline straight to the heart!” – Cheshire Cat
34. “When the day becomes the night and the sky becomes the sea When the clock strikes heavy and there’s no time for tea. And in our darkest hour, before my final rhyme, she will come back home to Wonderland and turn back the hands of time.” – Cheshire Cat
35. “A secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.” – Cheshire Cat
36. “Every picture tells a story. Sometimes we don’t like the ending. Sometimes we don’t understand it.” – Cheshire Cat
37. “You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.” – Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat Quotes About Hope and Courage
38. “Every adventure requires a first step.” – Cheshire Cat
39. “Haste makes waste, so I rarely hurry. But if a ferret were about to dart up my dress, I’d run.” – Cheshire Cat
40. “Well, some go this way, and some go that way. But as for me, myself, personally, I prefer the short-cut.” – Cheshire Cat
41. “If you don’t know where you are going any road can take you there.” – Cheshire Cat
42. “If you’re gonna make it to the top, get a grip on this rock, and get a grip on yourself.” – Cheshire Cat
43. “Actually, I am right on time.” – Cheshire Cat
44. “Let your need guide your behavior.” – Cheshire Cat
45. “You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak and don’t forget to use your head.” – Cheshire Cat
46. “The shadows should be here soon. Are you prepared for the worst? If not, too bad!” – Cheshire Cat
47. “It’s always tea time.” – Cheshire Cat
48. “How do you run from what is inside your head?” – Cheshire Cat
49. “I’m afraid I have to expel a rather ferocious hairball. You’re on your own, girl.” – Cheshire Cat
50. “I’ve never trusted toadstools, but I suppose some must have their good points.” – Cheshire Cat
Which of these Cheshire Cat quotes is your favorite?
The grinning Cheshire Cat is an image that follows the many different depictions of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland story, although there are slight differences from one version to another. Many people enjoy the way the cat disappears leaving no evidence but his grin or the way he gives Alice a hard time. But there are also plenty of times when he helps her out as well.
If you don’t remember the Cheshire Cat, it may be time to find the old Disney version and relive the childhood story. Or, you can do a little digging into the history of the “Cheshire Cat” origins and other adaptions of the character.
Did you enjoy these Cheshire Cat quotes and lines? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.