These Dracula quotes about love, blood and death, and life lessons come from the novel and the two movies specifically about Dracula.
Dracula is an integral part of any modern-day vampire history or story thanks to the 1897 Gothic horror novel by Irish author Bram Stoker. It introduced the character of Count Dracula, who has since appeared in several movies, shows, and inspiration for other vampire tales.
The novel tells the story of Dracula’s attempt to move from Transylvania to England in search of fresh blood and the desire to spread the undead curse. It also details the battle between Dracula and a small group of people, led by Professor Abraham Van Helsing.
The epistolary structure of the novel, meaning that it is told through letters, diary entries, newspaper articles, telegrams, and a ship’s log, adds to the mystery for the reader. Keep reading to learn more about the novel and movies, including quotes from both Dracula films.
Don’t forget to also check out these Vampire Diaries quotes to relive the series.
Bram Stoker’s Dracula quotes about love
1. “There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
2. “I am longing to be with you, and by the sea, where we can talk together freely and build our castles in the air.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
3. “I will not let you go into the unknown alone.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
4. “No man knows till he experiences it, what it is like to feel his own lifeblood drawn away into the woman he loves.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
5. “Oh, why must a man like that be made unhappy when there are lots of girls about who would worship the very ground he trod on?” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
6. “Because if a woman’s heart was free a man might have hope.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
7. “Is it possible that love is all subjective, or all objective?” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
8. “You must not be alone; for to be alone is to be full of fears and alarms.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
9. “I am all in a sea of wonders. I doubt. I fear. I think strange things, which I dare not confess to my own soul.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
10. “I wish I could comfort all who suffer from the heart. Will you let me be your friend, and will you come to me for comfort if you need it?” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
11. “I suppose it is that sickness and weakness are selfish things and turn our inner eyes and sympathy on ourselves, whilst health and strength give love rein, and in thought and feeling he can wander where he wills.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Gothic Dracula quotes about blood and death
12. “Denn die Todten reiten Schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
13. “The blood is life… and it shall be mine!” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
14. “For life be, after all, only a waitin’ for somethin’ else than what we’re doin’; and death be all that we can rightly depend on.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
15. “Euthanasia, is an excellent and comforting word! I am grateful to whoever invented it.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
16. “Take me away from all this Death.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
17. “I want to cut off her head and take out her heart.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
18. “With his long sharp nails, he opened a vein in his breast. When the blood began to spurt out, he took my hands in one of his, holding them tight and with the other ceased my neck and pressed my mouth to the wound so that I must either suffocate or swallow… Some of the… Oh my god… my god! What have I done?” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
19. “The warlike days are over. Blood is too precious a thing in these days of dishonorable peace; and the glories of the great races are as a tale that is told.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
20. “And, to our bitter grief, with a smile and in silence, he died, a gallant gentleman.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
21. “for I determined that if Death came he should find me ready.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Dracula quotes with life lessons
22. “We learn from failure, not from success!” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
23. “There is a reason why all things are as they are.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
24. “Despair has its own calms.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
25. “Though sympathy alone can’t alter facts, it can help to make them more bearable.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
26. “I suppose a cry does us all good at times-clears the air as other rain does.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
27. “Perhaps at the end the little things may teach us most.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
28. “Do not think that I am not sad, though I laugh.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
29. “Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
30. “I want you to believe…to believe in things that you cannot.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
31. “But we are strong, each in our purpose, and we are all more strong together.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
32. “I must take action of some sort whilst the courage of the day is upon me.” ― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Dracula quotes from the 1992 movie
33. “I have crossed oceans of time to find you.” ― Dracula
34. “Do you believe in destiny? That even the powers of time can be altered for a single purpose? That the luckiest man who walks on this earth is the one who finds… true love?” ― Dracula
35. Mina: “I want to be what you are, see what you see, love what you love.”
Dracula: “Mina, to walk with me you must die to your breathing life and be reborn to mine.”
36. “I… love you too much to condemn you.” ― Dracula
37. “There is much to be learned from beasts.” ― Dracula
38. “I am the monster that breathing men would kill. I am Dracula.” ― Dracula
39. Dracula: “I, who served the Cross. I, who commanded nations hundreds of years before you were born.”
Professor Abraham Van Helsing: “Your armies were defeated. You tortured and impaled thousands of people.”
Dracula: “I was betrayed. Look what your God has done to me!”
40. “I shall rise from my own death, to avenge hers with all the powers of darkness.” ― Dracula
41. “Your impotent men with their foolish shells cannot protect you from my power. I condemn you to living death. To eternal hunger for living blood.” ― Dracula
42. “Absinthe is the aphrodisiac of the self. The green fairy who lives in the absinthe wants your soul. But you are safe with me.” ― Dracula
Dracula quotes from the 1931 movie
43. “I am Dracula.” ― Count Dracula
44. “The spider spinning his web for the unwary fly. The blood is the life, Mr. Renfield.” ― Count Dracula
45.Count Dracula: “This is very old wine. I hope you will like it.”
Renfield: “Aren’t you drinking?”
46. “I never drink…wine.” ― Count Dracula
47. “To die, to be really dead, that must be glorious!” ― Count Dracula
48. “There are far worse things awaiting man than death.” ― Count Dracula
49. “You are too late. My blood now flows through her veins. She will live through the centuries to come, as I have lived.” ― Count Dracula
50. “For one who has not lived even a single lifetime, you are a wise man, Van Helsing.” ― Count Dracula
What did you learn from these Dracula quotes?
Tod Browning directed and co-produced Dracula, a 1931 American supernatural horror film. Bela Lugosi stars as Count Dracula. Dracula achieved both commercial and critical success upon release. Lugosi’s portrayal of Dracula launched the character to cultural icon status. Over 60 years later, Francis Ford Copella would resurrect the Count again in Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
That adaptation starred Gary Oldman as Count Dracula, Winona Ryder as Mina Harker, Anthony Hopkins as Professor Abraham Van Helsing, and Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker. It was met with mostly positive reviews, aside from Reeve’s performance and English accent, and did well at the box office.
The movie had a production budget of $40 million and grossed 215 million. It was also nominated for four Academy Awards and won Best Costume Design, Best Sound Editing, and Best Makeup.
Have you read the book that started the legend of Count Dracula, or watched either film? Share your favorite Dracula quotes and sayings with us in the comment section below.