If you’re interested in United States history including World War I and World War II, these General George Patton quotes are for you.
If there is one person who has led many successful missions for the country, it was General George Patton who dedicated his life to war.
General George Patton, Jr. played an immense part in protecting the country when he served as a general of the United States Army. He was the one who spearheaded the Seventh United States Army during World War II in the Mediterranean theater and conquered Sicily.
General Patton was also the force behind the United States Army Central located in France and Germany in 1944. Many know him under the nicknames Bandito, The Old Man, and Old Blood and Guts.
Read these George Patton quotes to learn more about his experiences and opinions.
Don’t forget to also check out these general James Mattis quotes about leadership and the military.
General George Patton Quotes About Military Life
1. “No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.” – General George Patton
2. “An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bullshit.” – General George Patton
3. “If you can’t get them to salute when they should salute and wear the clothes you tell them to wear, how are you going to get them to die for their country?” – General George Patton
4. “Prisoner of War guard companies, or an equivalent organization, should be as far forward as possible in action to take over prisoners of war because troops heated with battle are not safe custodians. Any attempt to rob or loot prisoners of war by escorts must be dealt strictly with.” – General George Patton
5. “It is absurd to believe that soldiers who cannot be made to wear the proper uniform can be induced to move forward in battle. Officers who fail to perform their duty by correcting small violations and in enforcing proper conduct are incapable of leading.” – General George Patton
6. “Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper hanging son-of-a-bitch, Hitler. Just like I’d shoot a snake!” – General George Patton
7. “War is an art and as such is not susceptible of explanation by fixed formula.” – General George Patton
8. “We want to get the hell over there. The quicker we clean up this Goddamned mess, the quicker we can take a little jaunt against the purple pissing Japs and clean out their nest, too. Before the Goddamned Marines get all of the credit.” – General George Patton
9. “Infantry must move forward to close with the enemy. It must shoot in order to move…. To halt under fire is folly. To halt under fire and not fire back is suicide. Officers must set the example.” – General George Patton
10. “Few men are killed by the bayonet, many are scared by it. Bayonets should be fixed when the firefight starts.” – General George Patton
11. “There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.” – General George Patton
Brave General George Patton quotes
12. “You cannot be disciplined in great things and indiscipline in small things. Brave undisciplined men have no chance against the discipline and valor of other men. Have you ever seen a few policemen handle a crowd?” – General George Patton
13. “All men are timid on entering any fight. Whether it is the first or the last fight, all of us are timid. Cowards are those who let their timidity get the better of their manhood.” – General George Patton
14. “Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.” – General George Patton
15. “Take calculated risks.” – General George Patton
16. “Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.” – General George Patton
17. “I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.” – General George Patton
18. “Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.” – General George Patton
19. “There’s a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates.” – General George Patton
20. “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” – General George Patton
General George Patton quotes and sayings about life
21. “If a man does his best, what else is there?” – General George Patton
22. “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” – General George Patton
23. “Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.” – General George Patton
24. “Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.” – General George Patton
25. “If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn’t thinking.” – General George Patton
26. “Audacity, audacity, always audacity.” – General George Patton
27. “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” – General George Patton
28. “Pressure makes diamonds.” – General George Patton
29. “May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t.” – General George Patton
30. “It is only by doing things others have not that one can advance.” – General George Patton
Inspiring General George Patton Quotes
31. “Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.” – General George Patton
32. “Make your plans to fit the circumstances.” – General George Patton
33. “You’re never beaten until you admit it.” – General George Patton
34. “A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood.” – General George Patton
35. “All glory is fleeting.” – General George Patton
36. “A leader is a man who can adapt principles to circumstances.” – General George Patton
37. “Success demands a high level of logistical and organizational competence.” – General George Patton
38. “Perpetual peace is a futile dream.” – General George Patton
39. “The test of success is not what you do when your on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.” – General George Patton
40. “If I win, I can’t be stopped! If I lose, I shall be dead.” – General George Patton
41. “Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.” – General George Patton
Other Quotes from General George Patton
42. “Magnificent! Compared to war all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance. God help me, I do love it so!” – General George Patton
43. “A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.” – General George Patton
44. “You need to overcome the tug of people against you as you reach for high goals.” – General George Patton
45. “It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory.” – General George Patton
46. “Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man.” – General George Patton
47. “I don’t give a damn about the color of your skin, just kill as many sons of bitches wearing green as you can.” – General George Patton
48. “You must do your damnest and win.” – General George Patton
49. “Just drive down that road, until you get blown up.” – General George Patton
50. “If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do… the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.” – General George Patton
What did you learn from these General George Patton Quotes?
During his early life, General George Patton had already experienced hardship. He had difficulty in reading and writing and he had to be tutored for a time in order to keep up with his school’s requirements.
Despite this, the general worked hard to study and later on chose a life in the military. This honed him to become the brave and courageous hero that he was, further gaining positions in the military and becoming a forefront leader in both World War I and II.
Even after his death in 1945, George Patton’s legacy continued. Many General Patton quotes are referenced in situations from military to leadership and business.
What did you learn from these General George Patton quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.