Author, blogger, and activist, Glennon Doyle, has hit rock bottom on multiple occasions and still managed to get back up every time. These Glennon Doyle quotes will help you gain perspective so that you can do the same.
Best-selling author and founder of the Momastery online community, Glennon Doyle is very open about the trials she has faced in life. From growing up with mental health issues to struggling with bulimia, alcoholism, drugs, and bad relationships, Doyle has overcome some serious challenges. She shares these challenges and the lessons she’s learned in her books, Untamed, Love Warrior, and Carry On, Warrior, and in her blog.
We hope these Glennon Doyle quotes inspire you to learn life’s lessons and carry on, no matter what trials you may be facing in life.
Don’t forget to also check out these Anne Lamott quotes that give life a positive perspective.
Glennon Doyle quotes from Untamed, Love Warrior, and other works
1. “I have met my self and I am going to care for her fiercely.” — Glennon Doyle
2. “Bring all of yourself to life. And if you’re told you’re ‘too much’ – smile and think: Maybe. Or maybe their capacity is too small?” — Glennon Doyle
3. “Your river is strong. Let it flow.” — Glennon Doyle
4. “Self-love means that I have a relationship with myself built on trust and loyalty. I trust myself to have my own back, so my allegiance is to the voice within.” — Glennon Doyle
5. “I had been deceived. The only thing that was ever wrong with me was my belief that there was something wrong with me.” — Glennon Doyle
6. “We can either control our selves or love our selves, but we can’t do both.” — Glennon Doyle
7. “Be messy and complicated and afraid and show up anyway.” — Glennon Doyle
8. “We weren’t born distrusting and fearing ourselves. That was part of our taming. We were taught to believe that who we are in our natural state is bad and dangerous.” — Glennon Doyle
Glennon Doyle Melton quotes about growing from your pain
9. “You are not supposed to be happy all the time. Life hurts and it’s hard. Not because you’re doing it wrong, but because it hurts for everybody. Don’t avoid the pain. You need it. It’s meant for you. Be still with it, let it come, let it go, let it leave you with the fuel you’ll burn to get your work done on this earth.” — Glennon Doyle
10. “When her pain is fresh and new, let her have it. Don’t try to take it away. Forgive yourself for not having that power. Grief and pain are like joy and peace; they are not things we should try to snatch from each other. They’re sacred. They are part of each person’s journey. All we can do is offer relief from this fear: I am all alone. That’s the one fear you can alleviate.” — Glennon Doyle
11. “The journey is learning that pain, like love, is simply something to surrender to. It’s a holy space we can enter with people only if we promise not to tidy up.” — Glennon Doyle
12. “What if pain – like love – is just a place where brave people visit?” — Glennon Doyle
13. “What if in skipping the pain, I was missing my lessons?” — Glennon Doyle
14. “Grief and pain are like joy and peace; they are not things we should try to snatch from each other. They’re sacred.” — Glennon Doyle
15. “If no pain, then no love. If no darkness, no light. If no risk, then no reward. It’s all or nothing. In this damn world, it’s all or nothing.” — Glennon Doyle
16. “I learned that I need to move toward the pain. Pain doesn’t go away. If you don’t embrace it, it will be passed onto someone else, usually those around you.” — Glennon Doyle
17. “I see your pain and it is difficult and it is hard, but it was made just for you and I also see that your courage is greater than your fear.” — Glennon Doyle
More Glennon Doyle quotes about personal growth
18. “You have been offered ‘the gift of crisis’. As Kathleen Norris reminds us, the Greek root of the word crisis is “to sift”, as in, to shake out the excesses and leave only what’s important. That’s what crises do. They shake things up until we are forced to hold on to only what matters most. The rest falls away.” — Glennon Doyle
19. “Reading is my inhale and writing is my exhale.” — Glennon Doyle
20. “Since brokenness is the way of folks, the only way to live peacefully is to forgive everyone constantly, including yourself.” — Glennon Doyle
21. “That’s how you can tell that you’re filling yourself with the wrong things. You use a lot of energy, and in the end, you feel emptier and less comfortable than ever.” — Glennon Doyle
22. “I used to numb my feelings and hide. Now I feel my feelings and share.” — Glennon Doyle
23. “Maybe the yes comes before the readiness. Maybe you say yes and then you become equipped to handle whatever is about to happen.” — Glennon Doyle
Inspiring Glennon Doyle quotes
24. “What I Know: 1. What you don’t know, you’re not supposed to know yet. 2. More will be revealed. 3 Crisis means to sift. Let it all fall away and you’ll be left with what matters. 4. What matters most cannot be taken away. 5. Just do the next right thing one thing at a time. That’ll take you all the way home.” — Glennon Doyle
25. “If you feel something calling you to dance or write or paint or sing, please refuse to worry about whether you’re good enough. Just do it. Be generous. Offer a gift to the world that no one else can offer: yourself.” — Glennon Doyle
26. “There is always more on its way – more opportunities, more ideas, more love. Know that there is enough. Know that you are enough. Know that you have enough.” — Glennon Doyle
27. “These things will be hard, but you can do hard things.” — Glennon Doyle
28. “Service and art are the two things that have saved me.” — Glennon Doyle
29. “I understand now that I’m not a mess, but a deeply feeling person in a messy world. I explain that now when someone asks me why I cry so often: “For the same reason I laugh so often – because I’m paying attention.” — Glennon Doyle
30. “We can choose to be perfect and admired or to be real and loved. We must decide.” — Glennon Doyle
31. “Life is hard—not because we’re doing it wrong, just because it’s hard.” — Glennon Doyle
32. “Life is brutal, but it’s also beautiful. Life is Brutiful.” — Glennon Doyle
Glennon Doyle quotes about love and motherhood
33. “The only meaningful thing we can offer one another is love. Not advice, not questions about our choices, not suggestions for the future, just love.” — Glennon Doyle
34. “People who are hurting don’t need Avoiders, Protectors, or Fixers. What we need are patient, loving witness. People to sit quietly and hold space for us. People to stand in helpful vigil to our pain.” — Glennon Doyle
35. “If our goal is to be tolerant of people who are different than we are, then we really are aiming quite low. Traffic jams are to be tolerated. People are to be celebrated.” — Glennon Doyle
36. “People who need help sometimes look a lot like people who don’t need help.” — Glennon Doyle
37. “Because love is not something for which to search or wait or hope or dream. Its simply something to do.” — Glennon Doyle
38. “My purpose is clearer today than it has been in years: Love, Courage, Truth.” — Glennon Doyle
39. “Love is the opposite of control. Love demands trust.” — Glennon Doyle
40. “Loving fiercely and grieving deeply are often two halves of the same whole.” — Glennon Doyle
More inspiring Glennon Doyle quotes
41. “Every girl must decide whether to be true to herself or true to the world. Every girl must decide whether to settle for adoration or fight for love.” — Glennon Doyle
42. “Addiction is a hiding place where sensitive people go. I was a super-sensitive kid—addiction is where I went to hide from risk, to hide from pain, to hide from love.” — Glennon Doyle
43. “Our culture was built upon and benefits from the control of women. The way power justifies controlling a group is by conditioning the masses to believe that the group cannot be trusted. So the campaign to convince us to mistrust women begins early and comes from everywhere.” — Glennon Doyle
44. “Wherever you go, there you are.” — Glennon Doyle
45. “It’s ok to feel too much and know too little.” — Glennon Doyle
46. “You can never get enough of what you don’t need.” — Glennon Doyle
47. “We have to get back into our own bodies and figure out what the hell we want to do. And then the next step is doing it without explaining ourselves.” — Glennon Doyle
48. “I just think there are as many different versions of feminism as there are women.” — Glennon Doyle
49. “Feminism has to be defined as freedom.” — Glennon Doyle
50. “Nobody is more ready to show up than anybody else. It’s just that some people show up before they’re perfect and before they’re ready.” — Glennon Doyle
What did you learn from these Glennon Doyle quotes?
These quotes from Glennon Doyle inspire us to live more presently in the moment. They help us see a new perspective as we work through the pain from the challenges that we face. These quotes inspire us to love both ourselves and our fellow humans deeper and unconditionally.
In her work, Doyle shares the dark aspects of her life to help inspire her readers. Most people would rather hide the challenges that they’ve faced, but Doyle shares her experiences with millions of readers to help them realize that they are not alone.
Her writing inspires readers to see the duality in life and know that there is always a silver lining, whether it’s a lesson to be learned or realizing that their experience is motivation to transition to a new life chapter.
We hope you were inspired by these Glennon Doyle quotes and sayings. Let us know which quote was your favorite in the comments below.