These J. R. R. Tolkien quotes illustrate his creative, religious, and inspirational side.
If you are a fan of fantasy stories, then you already know who J. R. R. Tolkien is. He is a legend who wrote The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings. He was also an academic, poet, and philologist. He also served as a professor and fellow at several universities.
Creativity was a dominant trait in his family, as they were clock and watchmakers. They also made and sold pianos.
Where did hobbits themselves come from? Hobbits are a fictional race born in Tolkien’s imagination. He created an origin source for the word, using an old English word, holbylta, which translates to “hole-dweller.” There were three groups of hobbits, and Tolkien also invented a language for them to use.
Keep reading to find out just how extensive an undertaking it was to craft these stories.
J. R. R. Tolkien quotes about faith, God, and religion
1. “No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
2. “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
3. “Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament… There you will find romance, glory, honor, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves upon earth.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
4. “I am a Christian… so that I do not expect ‘history’ to be anything but a ‘long defeat.’ — though it contains (and in a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or glimpses of final victory.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
5. “The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion. Though always Itself, perfect and complete and inviolate, the Blessed Sacrament does not operate completely and once for all in any of us. Like the act of faith, it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
J. R. R. Tolkien quotes about adventure
6. “Home is behind; the world ahead.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
7. “Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
8. “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
9. “Little by little, one travels far.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
10. “The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
11. “Then something tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking stick.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
12. “Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
13. “The world is not in your books and maps; it is out there.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
14. “I think I’m quite ready for another adventure.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
15. “This is a story of how a Baggins had an adventure and found himself doing and saying things altogether unexpected.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
16. “I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
17. “The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, and I must follow if I can.”― J. R. R. Tolkien
18. “We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
19. “Still, round the corner, there may wait a new road or a secret gate, and though I oft have passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
Inspirational J. R. R. Tolkien quotes
20. “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
21. “Courage is found in unlikely places.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
22. “I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are evil.”― J. R. R. Tolkien
23. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
24. “You can only come to the morning through the shadows.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
25. “If most of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
26. “It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
27. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
28. “It’s the job that’s never started that takes the longest to finish.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
29. “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
30. “For even, the very wise cannot see all ends.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
31. “There is nothing like looking if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
32. “The wise speak only of what they know.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
33. “Deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
J. R. R. Tolkien quotes about darkness
34. “I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay, small acts of kindness and love.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
35. “Darkness must pass, a new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
36. “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
37. “The world is indeed full of peril, and in it, there are many dark places. But still, there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
38. “Though here at journey’s end, I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the sun and stars for ever dwell: I will not say the day is done, nor bid the stars farewell.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
39. “Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars.”― J. R. R. Tolkien
J. R. R. Tolkien quotes that are true about most things in life
40. “And some things that were not meant to be forgotten were lost.”― J. R. R. Tolkien
41. “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
42. “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
43. “And then her heart changed, or at least she understood it, and the winter passed, and the sun shone upon her.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
44. “A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
45. “May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moonwalks.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
46. “Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning or that it is a morning to be good on?” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
47. “You have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
48. “I will not walk backward in life.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
49. “It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
50. “Fear both the heat and the cold of your heart, and try to have patience, if you can.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
What did you learn from these J. R. R. Tolkien quotes?
Just how many languages did he have to develop for his stories? Well, his own creative genius allowed him to invent 15 languages for The Lord of The Rings. He wrote the book to appease his readers, who wanted to know more about the realm of the hobbits.
Bilbo Baggins, who starts the book out as a thief, is the main character of The Hobbit, became a supporting character in The Lord of the Rings. He was also the narrator for Tolkien’s Middle Earth.
It takes a long time to weave such an epic tale, especially one that requires 15 made-up languages. If you are wondering how long it took, it might shock you to know that it took 17 years!
What is a project that you have worked on for that long? Let us know in the comment section below! You can also leave any of your other favorite J. R. R. Tolkien quotes and sayings.