Monster’s Inc., a delightfully ‘scary’ Disney/Pixar film premiered just after Halloween in 2001. It offered us a glimpse into the ‘monsters’ that hide under the bed told from their perspective.
The city of Monstropolis is powered by the screams of children. Mike and Sulley, partners who work on the factory floor called ‘Scarers,’ enter the human world through magical doors.
These doors lead to the closet doors of little kids. Their job is to harness the resulting screams, so the energy company can convert them to power. After one of these trips, Mike and Sulley discover that Boo, an adorable little girl with pigtails, has snuck into the factory.
The film was a fan favorite because of its unique story and lovable characters. These Monsters Inc. quotes are full of witty words from Mike Wazowski, and funny one-liners from some of our favorite monster friends. The movie teaches a valuable lesson about fearing people who differ from us because we don’t understand them, or have incorrect preconceptions.
I came across the question the other day that asked, “If Mike and Sulley were romantic partners?” Keep reading through these Monster’s Inc. quotes to find out.
Don’t forget to also check out these It’s A Wonderful Life quotes from the iconic movie.
Monsters Inc. quotes about Boo
1. “You know, I don’t think she’s all that dangerous.” ― James P. Sullivan, “Sulley”
2. “Yeah, we can keep her. I’ve always wanted a pet… THAT COULD KILL ME!” ― Mike Wazowski
3. “That’s right, Boo! You did it! You beat him!” ― James P. Sullivan, “Sulley”
4. “Put that thing back where it came from, or so help me!” ― Mike Wazowski
5. “Look at everybody’s favorite scarer now, you stupid, pathetic waste! You’ve been #1 for too long, Sullivan! Now your time is up! And don’t worry; I’ll take good care of the kid!” Randall Boggs
6. “What have I done? This could ruin the company.” ― James P. Sullivan, “Sulley”
7. “What about us? That thing is a killing machine! I bet it’s waiting for us to fall asleep, and then – bam! Oh, we’re easy prey, my friend. Easy prey! We’re sitting targets!” ― Mike Wazowski
8. “One, two, three, four, get the kid back through the door!” ― Mike Wazowski
9. “Sulley, you’re not supposed to name it. Once you name it, you start getting attached to it.” ― Mike Wazowski
Monsters Inc. quotes to make you laugh
10. Mike Wazowski: “Whew! You got any odorant I can borrow?”
James P. Sullivan: “Yeah. I’ve got ‘Smelly Garbage’, and ‘Old Dumpster.”
11. “Abominable! That’s what they called me! Don’t you think that’s a little harsh? I mean, how about the Adorable Snowman?” ― Yeti
12. “Scary monsters do not have plaque!” ― Mike Wazowski
13. “You played dodgeball? I loved dodgeball! Of course, I was the ball.” ― Mike Wazowski
14. “Hey, did you lose weight, or a limb?” ― James P. Sullivan, “Sulley”
15. “I don’t like big moving things that are moving towards me.” ― Mike Wazowski
16. “I wasn’t scared. I have allergies.” ― Mike Wazowski
17. “Milking a yak ain’t exactly a picnic.” ―Yeti
18. “I’m sorry, Wazowski, but Randall said I’m not allowed to fraternize with victims of his evil plot.” ―Fungus
19. “Wasteland? I think you mean Wonderland!” ―Yeti
20. “Give it a rest, will ya, butterball?” ― James P. Sullivan, “Sulley”
Monsters Inc. quotes about scaring
21. “Ready or not, here I come!” ― James P. Sullivan, “Sulley”
22. “We scare because we care.” ― Henry J. Waternoose
23. “Kids these days. They just don’t get scared like they used to.” ― Henry J. Waternoose
24. “Looks like you’re out of a job.” ― James P. Sullivan, “Sulley”
25. “It’s scarin’ time!” ― James P. Sullivan, “Sulley”
26. “There’s more to life than scaring.” ― Mike Wazowski
27. “She’s not scared of you anymore.” ― James P. Sullivan, “Sulley”
28. “Scary feet, scary feet, scary feet!” ― Mike Wazowski
Monsters Inc. quotes from Mike Wazowski
29. “I love you schmooksie poo!” ― Mike Wazowski
30. “Sulley, I am bearing my soul here. The least you can do is pay attention.” ― Mike Wazowski
31. “Nothing is more important than our friendship.” ― Mike Wazowski
32. “You and I are a team.” ― Mike Wazowski
33. “What can I say? The camera loves me!” ― Mike Wazowski
34. “Roz, my tender, oozing blossom, you’re looking fabulous today. Is that a new haircut? Tell me it’s a new haircut. It’s got to be a new haircut. New makeup? You had a lift? You had a tuck? You had something? Something has been inserted in you that makes you look… Listen, I need a favor. Randall was working late last night out on the scare floor. I really need the key to the door he was using.” ― Mike Wazowski
35. “Go ahead, go grow up.” ― Mike Wazowski
36. “Hey, good morning, Monstropolis. It’s now five after the hour of 6:00 A.M. in the big monster city. Temperature’s a balmy 65 degrees – which is good news for you reptiles – and it looks like it’s gonna be a perfect day to maybe, hey, just lie in bed, sleep in, or simply… WORK OUT THAT FLAB THAT’S HANGING OVER THE BED. Get up, Sulley.” ― Mike Wazowski
37. “Oh, that’s great, blame it on the little guy. How original. He must’ve read the schedule wrong with his one eye.” ― Mike Wazowski
38. “Where are you going? We’ll talk. We’ll have a latte.” ― Mike Wazowski
39. “Remember to tip your waitresses.” ― Mike Wazowski
40. “You’ve been jealous of my good looks since the fourth grade.” ― Mike Wazowski
41. “Come on, pal. If you start crying, I’m gonna cry, and I’ll never get through this.” ― Mike Wazowski
42. “One of these days I am really… going to let you teach that guy a lesson.” ― Mike Wazowski
Monsters Inc. quotes from some of our other monstrous friends
43. “Go get him googly bear!” ― Celia
44. “You expect me to believe that pack of lies, Mike Wazowski!?” ― Celia
45. “If I don’t see a door in my station in 5 seconds, I will personally put you through the shredder!” ― Randall Boggs
46. “What are you doing? Take your hands off me! You can’t arrest me! [To Sulley] I hope you’re happy, Sullivan! You’ve destroyed this company! Monsters, Inc. is dead! Where will everyone get their screams now?! The energy crisis will only get worse… BECAUSE OF YOU!!!” ― Henry J. Waternoose
47. “Kitty!” ― Boo
48. “Your stunned silence is very reassuring.” ― Roz
49. “This office is now closed.” ― Roz
50. “There’s nothing more toxic or deadly than a human child. A single touch could kill you. Leave a door open, and one can walk right into this factory; right into the monster world.” ― Henry J. Waternoose
Which of these Monsters Inc. quotes is your favorite?
Monsters Inc. was not only loved by fans, generating over $577 million worldwide and becoming the third highest-grossing film of 2001, but it was also critically acclaimed. Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a score of 96% based on 196 reviews. The heartwarming plot about acceptance, love, and friendship is as relevant today as it was nearly 20 years ago.
There has been a question about whether Mike and Sulley were an early attempt at portraying a leading same-sex couple. Sulley, the lovable blue furry monster, acts as a surrogate father for Boo. He is not sure what to do with the human child, so he brings her home, a home he shares with co-worker Mike.
The two male characters share many characteristics of a couple, including living together, taking care of one another, and bickering and bantering. They also parent Boo together. This movie was all about love and acceptance, so it doesn’t feel like a stretch to think the studio would have made Mike and Sulley’s relationship ambiguous.
Do you think that Mike and Sulley are meant to be a couple in the eyes of the viewer? Let us know your thoughts, and any other of your favorite Monster’s Inc. quotes and lines, in the comment section below.