These Roberto Clemente quotes will inspire you to do what you love. For him, it was baseball.
Born in Peurto Rico in 1934, Roberto Clemente grew up loving baseball. By age 17 he was playing for the Santurce Crabbers, a Peurto Rican baseball team. The following year he moved to Montreal and signed with the Dodgers’ triple-A team, the Royals. In 1954, Clemente was taken by the Pirates and he played 18 seasons for the team.
More than just a ballplayer, Clemente was a humanitarian, too. He was heavily involved in charity work and would volunteer in the off-seasons. In December of 1972, Clemente died in a plane crash while delivering aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua. He was 38 years old.
Don’t forget to also check out these Satchel Paige quotes from the famous baseball pitcher.
Inspirational Roberto Clemente quotes about baseball
1. “I was born to play baseball.”― Roberto Clemente
2. “I couldn’t ask for better teammates, and the Pirate fans are the greatest in baseball.”― Roberto Clemente
3. “I am convinced that God wanted me to be a baseball player.”― Roberto Clemente
4. “I am more valuable to my team hitting .330 then swinging for home runs.”― Roberto Clemente
5. “I loved the game so much that even though our playing field was muddy and we had many trees on it, I used to play many hours every day.”― Roberto Clemente
6. “I would like to get 3,000 hits.”― Roberto Clemente
7. “Baseball has been very good to me.” — Roberto Clemente
8. “If I would be happy, I would be a very bad ballplayer. With me, when I get mad, it puts energy in my body.”― Roberto Clemente
9. “My mother has the same kind of an arm, even today at 74. She could throw a ball from second base to home plate with something on it. I got my arm from my mother.”― Roberto Clemente
10. “It’s not a bad ball if I can hit it.”― Roberto Clemente
11. “I used to watch Monte Irvin play when I was a kid. I idolized him. I used to wait in front of the ballpark just for him to pass by so I could see him.”― Roberto Clemente
12. “Brooklyn was a famous team. I wanted to play for the Dodgers.” — Roberto Clemente
13. “The Dodgers told me a big bonus was no good, and they said other players would resent it. Better for me to take a small amount of money and work my way.”― Roberto Clemente
14. “I will hit.450 if you give me Ralph Garr’s legs, Johnny Bench’s age and cut the travel schedule.” — Roberto Clemente
15. “I had offers from Dodgers, Giants, and Braves. Braves offer same amount as Dodgers but I have many friends on Brooklyn team. I feel more at home there and I sign.” — Roberto Clemente
16. “I love the game too much to quit.” — Roberto Clemente
17. “You try to hit home run every time but you no can do. No man can do.” — Roberto Clemente
18. “They’ve been knocking me down all season in the National League and I’ve still gotten my share of base hits.” — Roberto Clemente
19. “This is my ballpark. Every game is played in daylight and I can see the ball good. And I can reach the stands in any direction.” — Roberto Clemente
20. “I think the fans in Pittsburgh are the best in baseball. They’ve always been on my side, even when I’m going bad. I’ve made plenty of friends and I would not trade these people for anybody, anywhere.” — Roberto Clemente
21. “There are many good players in this game. If they weren’t good, they wouldn’t be in the majors.” — Roberto Clemente
22. “In Puerto Rico, we like to laugh and talk before a game. Then we go out and play as hard as we can to win. Afterwards, we laugh and talk again. But in America, baseball is much more of a business. Play well and you get pats on the back and congratulations. Play bad and no pats and maybe nobody talks to you.” — Roberto Clemente
23. “Baseball was my whole life. I would forget to eat because of baseball.” — Roberto Clemente
Famous Roberto Clemente quotes about his success from baseball
24. “I wasn’t ready for the majors when I joined the Pirates in 1955. I was too young and didn’t know my way around.”― Roberto Clemente
25. “After I failed to win the Most Valuable Player Award in 1960, I made up my mind I’d win the batting title in 1961 for the first time.”― Roberto Clemente
26. “I go up to hit. I hear people say I swing at bad pitches. If I can hit it, it is not a bad pitch.” — Roberto Clemente
27. “There was a time when I said if I couldn’t play in Pittsburgh, I wouldn’t want to play anywhere. I don’t feel that way now. If the Pirates traded me, I would accept it as a part of baseball and continue doing my best wherever I went.” — Roberto Clemente
28. “I’m not bragging when I say I think I’m as good as anyone.” — Roberto Clemente
29. “One time my mother wanted to punish me. She started to burn my bat, but I got it out of the fire and saved it. Many times today she tells me how wrong she was and how right I was to want to play baseball. I bought my parents their home in Puerto Rico and gave them possessions they never thought they’d ever see. All from baseball.” — Roberto Clemente
30. “Winning is such fun.” — Roberto Clemente
31. “My best game is when I drive in the winning run.” — Roberto Clemente
32. “I didn’t win the MVP alone. I couldn’t win it without having a good team, without men getting on base, and without us winning. I was sad because we didn’t win the pennant. But I thought the MVP was something the ball club could be proud of because it gave our whole team recognition.” — Roberto Clemente
33. “In a way, I was born twice. I was born in 1934 and again in 1955 when I came to Pittsburgh. I am thankful to say that I lived two lives.” — Roberto Clemente
Inspiring Roberto Clemente quotes
34. “If you have a chance to accomplish something that will make things better for people coming behind you, and you don’t do that, you are wasting your time on this earth.”― Roberto Clemente
35. “I want to be remembered as a ballplayer who gave all I had to give.”― Roberto Clemente
36. “They said you’d really have to be something to be like Babe Ruth. But Babe Ruth was an American player. What we needed was a Puerto Rican player they could say that about, someone to look up to and try to equal.”― Roberto Clemente
37. “I always try to lead the clean life.” — Roberto Clemente
38. “Jamie is one of the most accomplished pitchers in Mariners’ history, leading the major leagues in winning percentage over the last eight years, … But it is his commitment to making the difference in the life of those in need through the Moyer Foundation that has made people see you as a great baseball player and a great humanitarian.” — Roberto Clemente
39. “My father was the 87th Latino to be in the major leagues, but he was the first one … to be able to speak up and become an activist against prejudice, not only in baseball but also in society, and that took a lot to be able to do that.” — Roberto Clemente
40. “It don’t matter how you stand; it matter where you end up!” — Roberto Clemente
41. “I am from the poor people; I represent the poor people. I like workers. I like people that suffer because these people have a different approach to life from the people that have everything and don’t know what suffering is.” — Roberto Clemente
42. “A nation without heroes is nothing.” — Roberto Clemente
More Roberto Clemente quotes
43. “My father used to say, ‘I want you to be a good man; I want you to learn how to work. And I want you to be a serious person.’ I grew up with that in my mind.”― Roberto Clemente
44. “The farther away you writers stay, the better I like it. You know why? Because you’re trying to create a bad image of me… you do it because I’m black and Puerto Rican, but I’m proud to be Puerto Rican.”― Roberto Clemente
45. “Look at my skin – I am not of the white people.”― Roberto Clemente
46. “The first day that I get to Fort Myers, there was a newspaper down there. The newspaper said, ‘Puerto Rican Hot Dog Arrives In Town.’” — Roberto Clemente
47. “Pitch me outside, I will hit .400. Pitch me inside, and you will not find the ball.”― Roberto Clemente
48. “To the people here, we are outsiders. Foreigners.”― Roberto Clemente
49. “But some people act like they think I live in the jungle someplace.”― Roberto Clemente
50. “If a Latin player is sick, they said it is all in their head. I’m sick of these people who make these statements.” — Roberto Clemente
Did you enjoy these Roberto Clemente quotes?
Though he was an excellent ballplayer, Roberto Clemente did not come to America without challenges. Not a native English speaker, Clemente had to overcome a language barrier for the first several years of his professional career.
He also faced racism from other players and reporters who discriminated against him for the color of his skin. However, Clemente was proud of his Peurto Rican heritage and was an outspoken supporter of minority rights.
Because of Clemente’s untimely death, the Baseball Hall of Fame changed their rules and allowed for Clemente to be inducted into the Hall of Fame six months after his plane crashed. Prior to Clemente, there had been a mandatory five-year waiting period.
We hope you enjoyed these Roberto Clemente quotes and sayings. Let us know which quote was your favorite in the comments below.