Our latest collection of St. Patrick’s Day quotes to honor Irish culture and customs.
I am Italian most of the time, but on St. Patrick’s Day, I like to consider myself Irish. Seeing as how many people wear green, have a Guinness, or take part in Leprechaun pranks, I don’t think I am alone in the sentiment! We make corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes every year, but what are some other St. Patrick’s Day traditions?
Well, everyone knows you should wear green to avoid getting pinched! There are usually parades and family gatherings, too. I didn’t know that all over the world people use food coloring to dye rivers and lakes green. What a fun way to mark the occasion.
If you are looking for some social media-worthy St. Patrick’s Day quotes and sayings, then you have come to the right place! There are even a few authentic Irish blessings and proverbs you can use to wish your friends luck!
If you stop by an Irish pub or have a gathering at your house, make sure to say “Sláinte,” before drinking, as that is the traditional Irish equivalent of “cheers!” Keep reading to learn more about why we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, and then you can impress everyone with your authentic St. Patrick’s Day quotes and blessings.
Don’t forget to also check out these Irish quotes and proverbs to get your spirits up.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day quotes from Irish blessings and proverbs to help bring about good luck
1. “May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow. And may trouble avoid you wherever you go.” — Irish Blessing
2. “A wish that every day for you will be happy from the start and may you always have good luck and a song within your heart.” — Irish Blessing
3. “For each petal on the shamrock, this brings a wish your way: Good health, good luck, and happiness for today and every day.” — Irish Blessing
4. “May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light, may good luck pursue you each morning and night.” — Irish Blessing
5. “A good friend is like a four-leaf clover, hard to find and lucky to have.” — Irish Proverb
6. “May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.” — Irish Blessing
7. “May you have all the happiness and luck that life can hold—and at the end of your rainbows may you find a pot of gold.” — Irish Blessing
8. “May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.” — Irish Blessing
9. “May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind be always at your back.” — Irish Blessing
10. “May you be at the gates of heaven an hour before the devil knows you’re dead!” — Irish Proverb
St. Patrick Day quotes from Saint Patrick
11. “The most High approveth not the gifts of the wicked.” — Saint Patrick
12. “He that offereth sacrifice of the goods of the poor is as one that sacrificeth the son in the presence of his father.” — Saint Patrick
13. “I only seek in my old age to perfect that which I had not before thoroughly learned in my youth because my sins were a hindrance to me.” — Saint Patrick
14. “Avarice is a deadly sin.” — Saint Patrick
15. “The Lord opened the understanding of my unbelieving heart so that I should recall my sins.” — Saint Patrick
16. “That which I have set out in Latin is not my words but the words of God and of apostles and prophets, who of course have never lied. He who believes shall be saved, but he who does not believe shall be damned. God has spoken.” — Saint Patrick
17. “It was not any grace in me, but God that put this earnest care into my heart, that I should be one of the hunters or fishers whom long ago God foreshowed would come in the last days.” — Saint Patrick
18. “I am Patrick, a sinner, most uncultivated and least of all the faithful and despised in the eyes of many.” — Saint Patrick
19. “I have had the good fortune through my God that I should never abandon his people whom I have acquired in the extremities of the earth.” — Saint Patrick
20. “No one should ever say that it was my ignorance if I did or showed forth anything, however small according to God’s good pleasure; but let this be your conclusion and let it so be thought, that – as is the perfect truth – it was the gift of God.” — Saint Patrick
21. “The list of Irish saints is past counting; but in it all, no other figure is so human, friendly, and lovable as St. Patrick.” — Stephen Gwynn
22. “It’s such a shame, really, because we were known for our country of saints and scholars, and we grew up with such a great tradition with St. Patrick, and he is the one who brought Christianity to Ireland, and we celebrate St. Patrick’s day every single year, but there’s very few practicing Catholics or practicing Christians.” — Katie Taylor
23. “St. Patrick, bringing the religion to Ireland, this is what we should celebrate.” — Frank McCourt
Funny St. Patrick’s Day quotes
24. “For the whole world is Irish on the Seventeenth o’ March!” — Thomas Augustin Daly
25. “Yeah, it’s St. Paddy’s Day. Everyone’s Irish tonight.” — Norman Reedus
26. “I’m Irish on St. Patrick’s Day. I’m Italian on Columbus Day. I’m a New Yorker every day.” — Tamara Tunie
27. “I have a lot of fond memories of St. Patrick’s Day in Chicago. Vague, but fond.” — Joel Murray
28. “Every St. Patrick’s Day in my hometown is such a huge thing. You know, it was like Christmas, but in green.” — J. Courtney Sullivan
29. “Shake your shamrocks.” — Unknown
30. “Wishing you a pot o’ gold and all the joy your heart can hold.” — Unknown
31. “I’m not Irish, but kiss me anyway.” — Unknown
32. “Keep calm and get your Irish on.” — Unknown
33. “Let’s get lucked up.” — Unknown
Inspirational St. Patrick’s Day quotes for celebrating and having fun with Leprechauns
34. “St. Patrick’s Day is an enchanted time — a day to begin transforming winter’s dreams into summer’s magic.” — Adrienne Cook
35. “That’s what the holidays are for — for one person to tell the stories and another to dispute them. Isn’t that the Irish way?” — Lara Flynn Boyle
36. “Every St. Patrick’s Day every Irishman goes out to find another Irishman to make a speech to.” — Shane Leslie
37. “It’s like some weird excuse for high school kids to vomit. It’s not good. It’s stupid. I’m sure that’s not what St. Patrick’s Day is supposed to be about, but who knows.” — Frances McDormand
38. “My parents are both from Belfast. I have an Irish passport and a British passport, and I go back every summer and every Christmas, and sometimes I pop over during the year to say hi, and, of course, celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.” — Stella Maxwell
39. “St. Patrick’s Day is a day to celebrate our green heritage. The ancestry of Ireland. It is a day to celebrate what it means to be Irish and of Irish descent.” — Anthony T. Hicks
40. “May the leprechauns dance on your bed and bring you sweet dreams.” — Unknown
41. “Always be yourself. Unless you can be a leprechaun. Then, be a leprechaun.” — Unknown
42. “The leprechauns made me do it!” — Unknown
43. “Keep calm and catch a leprechaun.” — Unknown
Humorous St. Patrick’s Day quotes about being Irish
44. “You can take a man out of Ireland, but you can’t take out the Irishness of the man.” — Tyson Fury
45. “The heart of an Irishman is nothing but his imagination.” — George Bernard Shaw
46. “Being Irish is very much a part of who I am. I take it everywhere with me.” — Colin Farrell
47. “Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” — William Butler Yeats
48. “There is no language like the Irish for soothing and quieting.” — John Millington Synge
49. “If you’re Irish, it doesn’t matter where you go – you’ll find family.” — Victoria Smurfit
50. “Yelling Irish, you can sound like an angry Leprechaun.” — Norman Reedus
Which of these St. Patrick’s Day quotes is your favorite?
We celebrate St. Patrick’s Day as a day to honor Irish culture and customs, but the holiday actually holds religious significance. Saint Patrick’s Day became an official Christian day of feasting in the early 17th century. It is held on the day of St. Patrick’s death and observed by the Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion (especially the Church of Ireland), the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Lutheran Church.
St. Patrick, a patron saint of Ireland, is credited with bringing Christianity to the nation. The shamrock had made its way into St. Patrick’s Day lore because St. Patrick used the shamrock to explain the holy trinity. Each of the three leaves represented a branch of the trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Whether you choose to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year because of its religious impact, or cultural connotations, make sure you have a good time! See what kind of luck you can create for yourself and those around you. Drink responsibly, eat some good food, and don’t forget something green! If you have kids, and the leprechaun played some pranks on them, feel free to share your tricks in the comment section below.
Which of these St. Patrick’s Day quotes and sayings is your favorite? Have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.