These star quotes will inspire you to wonder and dream, just as humans have been inspired by the stars for centuries.
Who doesn’t love a starry sky?
We live in an amazing and beautiful world. One of the most astonishing and more mysterious things in our universe is what lies beyond our planet in outer space. From where we stand, giant balls of fire look like tiny, sparkling speckles in the sky.
Have you ever spent a night with a loved one cuddled up on a blanket under a starry sky? Or, have you ever looked through a telescope to try and get a closer look at those sparkling bodies way up there in space?
Only in recent history have we understood as much as we do now about stars, but for millennia, these stars have inspired wonder, dreams, adventure, and romance.
Don’t forget to also check out these sky quotes for those who marvel the world above.
Star quotes and sayings that inspire romance
1. “It’s the kind of kiss that inspires stars to climb into the sky and light up the world.” – Tahereh Mafi
2. “I love you to the stars and beyond.” — Unknown
3. “You are the brightest star in my sky.” — Unknown
4. “We shine together, like the moon and stars.” — Unknown
5. “You are my sun, my moon, and all of my stars.” — E.E. Cummings
6. “We are made out of stars… you and I.” — Gregory David Roberts
7. “Just look up, we are both under the same starry sky.” — Unknown
8. “If you’ll be my star, I’ll be your sky.” — Meredith Godreau
Scientific star quotes for astronomists
9. “It is reasonable to hope that in the not too distant future we shall be competent to understand so simple a thing as a star.” – Arthur Eddington
10. “If the earth were flat from east to west, the stars would rise as soon for westerners as for orientals, which is false. Also, if the earth were flat from north to south and vice versa, the stars which were always visible to anyone would continue to be so wherever he went, which is false. But it seems flat to human sight because it is so extensive.” – Ptolemy
11. “The number of fixed stars which observers have been able to see without artificial powers of sight up to this day can be counted. It is therefore decidedly a great feat to add to their number, and to set distinctly before the eyes other stars in myriads, which have never been seen before, and which surpass the old, previously known stars in number more than ten times.” – Galileo Galilei
12. “New stars offer to the mind a phenomenon more surprising, and less explicable, than almost any other in the science of astronomy.” – George Adams
Star quotes about their beauty
13. “It shows you exactly how a star is formed; nothing else can be so pretty! A cluster of vapor, the cream of the milky way, a sort of celestial cheese, churned into light.” – Benjamin Disraeli
14. “A sky as pure as water bathed the stars and brought them out.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
15. “For my part, I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.” – Vincent Van Gogh
16. “The glitter in the sky looks as if I could scoop it all up in my hands and let the stars swirl and touch one another but they are so distant so very far apart that they cannot feel the warmth of each other even though they are made of burning.” – Beth Revis
17. “Not just beautiful, though–the stars are like the trees in the forest, alive and breathing. And they’re watching me. – Haruki Murakami
18. “The night is even more richly coloured than the day…. If only one pays attention to it, one sees that certain stars are citron yellow, while others have a pink glow or a green, blue, and forget-me-not brilliance. And without my expiating on this theme, it should be clear that putting little white dots on a blue-black surface is not enough.” – Vincent van Gogh
19. “The stars are the jewels of the night, and perchance surpass anything which day has to show. A companion with whom I was sailing one very windy but bright moonlight night, when the stars were few and faint, thought that a man could get along with them,—though he was considerably reduced in his circumstances,—that they were a kind of bread and cheese that never failed.” – Henry David Thoreau
20. “If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown! But every night come out these envoys of beauty, and light the universe with their admonishing smile.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
21. “One thousand brilliant stars punched holes in my consciousness, pricking me with longing. I could stare at the stars for hours, their infinite number and depth pulling me into a part of myself that I ignored during the day.” – Maggie Stiefvater
22. “Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.” ― Marcus Aurelius
Short star quotes for dreamers
23. “The stars are the land-marks of the universe.” – John Frederick William Herschel
24. “Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.” – Peter Pan
25. “The real friends of the space voyager are the stars. Their friendly, familiar patterns are constant companions, unchanging, out there.” – James Lovell
26. “The stars were better company anyway. They were very beautiful, and they almost never snored.” – David Eddings
27. “When reaching for the stars, beware of those who want to cut off your hands.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
28. “Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering.” — Saint Augustine
29. “The stars are the apexes of what wonderful triangles! What distant and different beings in the various mansions of the universe are contemplating the same one at the same moment!” – Henry David Thoreau
30. “A philosopher once asked, “Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?” Pointless, really…” Do the stars gaze back?” Now, that’s a question.” – Neil Gaiman
31. “The stars look like they’re so close, you could reach out and touch them. But you can’t. Sometimes things look a lot closer than they are.” – Kami Garcia
32. “I like the night. Without the dark, we’d never see the stars.” ― Stephenie Meyer
33. “We had the sky, up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made, or only just happened—Jim he allowed they was made, but I allowed they happened; I judged it would have took too long to make so many.” – Mark Twain
Other inspirational star quotes and sayings
34. “Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” – Theodore Roosevelt
35. “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” – Oscar Wilde
36. “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.” – William Shakespeare
37. “Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious.” – Stephen Hawking
38. “We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong.” – Arthur Eddington
39. “When you reach for the stars, you are reaching for the farthest thing out there. When you reach deep into yourself, it is the same thing, but in the opposite direction. If you reach in both directions, you will have spanned the universe.” – Vera Nazarian
40. “I am aware that many critics consider the conditions in the stars not sufficiently extreme … the stars are not hot enough. The critics lay themselves open to an obvious retort: we tell them to go and find a hotter place.” – Arthur Eddington
41. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars.” – Augustine Mandino
42. “Each star is a mirror reflecting the truth inside you.” – Aberjhani
43. “Maybe that’s what life is… a wink of the eye and winking stars.” – Jack Kerouac
44. “Look at the stars. See their beauty. And in that beauty, see yourself.” – Draya Mooney
45. “I think that we are like stars. Something happens to burst us open, but when we burst open and think we are dying; we’re actually turning into a supernova. And then when we look at ourselves again, we see that we’re suddenly more beautiful than we ever were before!” – C. JoyBell C.
46. “Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
47. “A star does not compete with other stars around it; it just shines.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
48. “Stars do not pull each other down to be more visible; they shine brighter.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
49. “A star is a rock that never gave up on its dream to rise.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
50. “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” ― Harriet Tubman
How often do you gaze up at the stars?
Depending on where you live, the stars may not always be visible. For instance, if you live in a big city, light pollution might drown out the darkness of the sky. But even if you do live in a city, it is so refreshing to get out into the countryside on occasion to look up at the sky and take in the wonder of the stars.
Have you ever seen the stars at their grandest? On a clear night, far away from the lights of the city, the sheer magnitude of how many stars sparkle in the sky is sure to drop your jaw. The beauty of the night is inspiring.
We hope you enjoyed these star quotes and sayings. Which quote was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.