These Terry Pratchett quotes about change, death, and hope will give you a fresh perspective on life.
Terry Pratchett was an author and humorist best known for his fantasy novel. This collection of quotes highlights his clever wit, good sense of sense, and unique perspective on the universe. Keep these words of wisdom in mind as you think about his life and legacy.
Some of the most notable works by Terry Pratchett include Discworld, Good Omens, and The Nome Trilogy. The Discworld series spans across 41 novels, with Pratchett writing an average of two Discworld books per year. You will truly appreciate his dedication as a novelist after reading these inspirational quotes about change, hope, and hard work.
His comical, fantasy and science-fiction works will always be beloved pieces of literature. Share this list of Terry Pratchett quotes with your loved ones who enjoy satire and could use a good laugh.
Don’t forget to also read these Louis C.K. quotes about life and comedy.
Legendary Terry Pratchett quotes
1. “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first and is waiting for it.” – Terry Pratchett
2. “The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” – Terry Pratchett
3. “Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.” – Terry Pratchett
4. “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” – Terry Pratchett
5. “Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages.” – Terry Pratchett
6. “It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It’s called living.” – Terry Pratchett
7. “Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I could be wrong.” – Terry Pratchett
8. “The harder I work, the luckier I become.” – Terry Pratchett
9. “Writing is the most fun you can have by yourself.” – Terry Pratchett
10. “I think perhaps the most important problem is that we are trying to understand the fundamental workings of the universe via a language devised for telling one another when the best fruit is.” – Terry Pratchett
Terry Pratchett quotes to inspire growth and positivity
11. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” – Terry Pratchett
12. “The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.” – Terry Pratchett
13. “If cats looked like frogs we’d realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That’s what people remember.” – Terry Pratchett
14. “Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.” – Terry Pratchett
15. “If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you’ll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy.” – Terry Pratchett
16. “They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it’s not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.” – Terry Pratchett
17. “Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.” – Terry Pratchett
18. “This isn’t life in the fast lane, it’s life in the oncoming traffic.” – Terry Pratchett
19. “Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out til too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along.” – Terry Pratchett
20. “In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded.” – Terry Pratchett
Terry Pratchett quotes that will give you a fresh perspective on life
21. “The intelligence of the creature known as a crowd is the square root of the number of people in it.” – Terry Pratchett
22. “He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armor shouting ‘All the Gods are bastards.’” – Terry Pratchett
23. “I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” – Terry Pratchett
24. “Go on, prove me wrong. Destroy the fabric of the universe. See if I care.” – Terry Pratchett
25. “The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.” – Terry Pratchett
26. “But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.” – Terry Pratchett
27. “Freedom without limits is just a word.” – Terry Pratchett
28. “Anger is wonderful. It keeps you going. I’m angry about bankers. About the government.” – Terry Pratchett
29. “It’s useful to go out of this world and see it from the perspective of another one.” – Terry Pratchett
30. “’Educational’ refers to the process, not the object. Although come to think of it, some of my teachers could easily have been replaced by a cheeseburger.” – Terry Pratchett
Terry Pratchett quotes that will make your day
31. “Journalism makes you think fast. You have to speak to people in all walks of life. Especially local journalism.” – Terry Pratchett
32. “What is normal? Normal was yesterday. If you lose a leg, one day you’re hopping around on one leg, so you know the difference.” – Terry Pratchett
33. “Evolution was far more thrilling to me than the biblical account. Who would not rather be a rising ape than a falling angel? To my juvenile eyes, Darwin was proved true every day. It doesn’t take much to make us flip back into monkeys again.” – Terry Pratchett
34. “Sooner or later we’re all someone’s dog.” – Terry Pratchett
35. “The baby boomers are getting older and will stay older for longer. And they will run right into the dementia firing range. How will a society cope? Especially a society that can’t so readily rely on those stable family relationships that traditionally provided the backbone of care?” – Terry Pratchett
36. “Taxation is just a sophisticated way of demanding money with menaces.” – Terry Pratchett
37. “Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It’s the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” – Terry Pratchett
38. “It seems that when you have cancer you are a brave battler against the disease, but when you have Alzheimer’s you are an old fart. That’s how people see you. It makes you feel quite alone.” – Terry Pratchett
39. “The ideal death, I think, is what was the ideal Victorian death, you know, with your grandchildren around you, a bit of sobbing. And you say goodbye to your loved ones, making certain that one of them has been left behind to look after the shop.” – Terry Pratchett
40. “Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you.” – Terry Pratchett
More Terry Pratchett quotes and sayings
41. “You can’t build a plot out of jokes. You need tragic relief. And you need to let people know that when a lot of frightened people are running around with edged weaponry, there are deaths. Stupid deaths, usually. I’m not writing ‘The A-Team’ – if there’s a fight going on, people will get hurt. Not letting this happen would be a betrayal.” – Terry Pratchett
42. “I grow as many of our vegetables as I can because my granddad was a professional gardener, and it’s in the blood.” – Terry Pratchett
43. “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.” – Terry Pratchett
44. “In all seriousness, people think that it’s the ideas that are important. Well, everyone has ideas, all the time. I tend to write mine down and remember them, but at some point, you have to apply the bum to the seat and knock out about sixty-five thousand words – that’s how long a novel is.” – Terry Pratchett
45. “I didn’t go to university. Didn’t even finish A-levels. But I have sympathy for those who did.” – Terry Pratchett
46. “No one’s policing their own minds more than an author. You spend a lot of time in your own head analyzing what you think about things, and a philosophy comes.” – Terry Pratchett
47. “I don’t think about the end game. I’ve got lots to occupy my mind. It’s the rage that keeps me going.” – Terry Pratchett
48. “Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.” – Terry Pratchett
49. “Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.” – Terry Pratchett
50. “It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.” – Terry Pratchett
What are your favorite Terry Pratchett quotes on the universe, death, and love?
These words of wisdom and funny quotes from Terry Pratchett are some of his most legendary statements of all time. As a beloved author with a huge fanbase, there are many famous Terry Pratchett quotes on the universe. Hopefully, this collection of quotes made you laugh, think, and deeply feel.
Terry Pratchett earned many awards, honors, and accolades throughout his life. If you’re a fan of his novels, you will understand the value of his written works. Read these quotes about change to inspire growth and positivity within yourself.
Amazing things are possible when you are dedicated to your craft and unwavering in your determination. Share these sayings about the universe with your friends and family to improve their day.
What are your favorite Terry Pratchett quotes and sayings about change, love, and cats? Let us know in the comment section below.