These Tropic Thunder quotes will lift your mood and make you want to rewatch the film.
Is Tropic Thunder worth watching? It is a hilarious satire, and stars comic geniuses Jack Black, Ben Stiller (who also directed the film), and Robert Downey Jr., so for that reason alone I would say yes!
The film, which is set in Vietnam, but filmed in Hawaii, portrays what happens when a group of prima donna actors attempts to make a War film. Fun fact, it was the largest production filmed on the island of Kaua’i!
The plot thickens when the trio of ‘actors’ is dropped in the middle of a jungle, by their director. They have to rely on their acting skills in order to survive the real danger they face. It parodies several famous war films.
In addition to the lead cast, it features many other star-studded appearances by actors like Tom Cruise, Nick Nolte, Matthew McConaughey, and Bill Hader. The three main characters even had fake websites that credited their fictional films.
Keep reading through these Tropic Thunder quotes if you are still on the fence, and I am sure you will laugh so hard you have to go watch the film.
Don’t forget to also check out these BoJack Horseman quotes from the hit Netflix show.
Tropic Thunder quotes about being emotional
1. “I can see why you’re upset, but I have to deal with a bunch of divas. Tugg can’t be emotional. He’s not able to cry.” — Damien Cockburn
2. Kirk Lazarus: “Are we finishing this scene or does everyone have to be emotional?”
Damien Cockburn: “We’re not cutting the scene. We all have to be emotional.”
3. “You know what the problem is, Damien. Not to get into his business, but if I’m feeling emotional, does Osiris have to be emotional too?” — Tugg Speedman
4. Tugg Speedman: “You can be emotional too.”
Kirk Lazarus: “Thanks for the permission.”
5. “It went badly. Lazarus got emotional. When he was crying, he started spitting, which wasn’t needed because the script didn’t call for it.” — Tugg Speedman
6. “You need to man up. It doesn’t matter if Lazarus is more talented than you. If he’s being emotional, you be even more emotional. Didn’t you have a sick dog when you were younger? You should think of that while you’re acting.” — Rick Peck
7. “An actor’s job is no different from anybody else’s job. I just have what it takes to show emotion.” — Kirk Lazarus
Tropic Thunder quotes about filming a movie and being an actor
8. Tugg Speedman: “Are you trying to mess up these takes?”
Kirk Lazarus: “There ain’t gonna be no takes. There ain’t gonna be no movie.”
Tugg Speedman: “Are you sure about that?”
Kirk Lazarus: “Yes, I am.”
9. “I am playing a role within a role within a role so I know who I am.” — Kirk Lazarus
10. “I don’t get out of my character until the DVD is done.” — Kirk Lazarus
11. Kevin Sandusky: “Any movie the director backs is usually a big hit, but every PlayStation has a blue-ray DVD player in it.”
Kirk Lazarus: “Who are you talking to?”
Kevin Sandusky: “I thought I was talking to the person listening to me.”
12. “That actor that played the part of Rain Man looked like something was wrong with him, but there wasn’t anything wrong. He was able to do different things, but he didn’t have anything wrong with him. When Tom Hanks played Forrest Gump, he was considered slow and perhaps mentally ill. He had braces on his legs, but he was able to get along with the President and won a competition. He wasn’t mentally unstable. The character Peter Sellers played in the movie, Being There, was immature, but he didn’t have anything mentally wrong with him. You should never act completely crazy. If you don’t believe that, talk to Sean Penn. In the movie, I Am Sam, he went completely crazy and didn’t get the Oscar.” — Kirk Lazarus
13. “As for why I’m in this movie, maybe I just knew I had to represent. Cause they one good part in this movie for a Black man and they gave it to Crocodile Dundee.” — Alpa Chino
14. “I don’t read the script. The script reads me.” — Kirk Lazarus
15. “I know who I am! I’m a dude playing the dude, disguised as another dude!” — Kirk Lazarus
16. “This is insane. Are you really going to abandon this movie? We’re supposed to be a unit!” — Tugg Speedman
17. “Don’t take this personally, Kirk. I know you’re a big star, but I have done more movies like this than you have. I think I can tell when I see a fake head. The blood you guys think you see is fake. The corn syrup tastes like blood. It’s all pretend. This is an old trick Hollywood has been using in the movie business.” — Tugg Speedman
Tropic Thunder quotes about and from people of Hollywood
18. “I want to admit something to everyone. People keep insulting me. They have the nerve to say that my project was just about bodily functions. That project was about family togetherness. F*** You! Don’t try to do the things I do.” — Jeff Portnoy
19. “The real star of the movie is Oscar winner, Kirk Lazarus. The actor is known for his bad behavior when he’s not on the set. He is known for his method acting.” — Access Hollywood Reporter
20. “It’s been a bad year all around for Tugg. The actor just came off a flop comedy. He decided to do a dramatic role. In the movie, he played a mentally disturbed farmer who was able to talk to animals. Needless to say, the movie was a big flop which critics labeled “the worst movie ever.” — Access Hollywood Reporter
21. “Preferably before the end of the fiscal year. Actually, the claim alone would net us more than the movie would lose.” — Studio Executive Rob Slolom
22. “And we’ll weep for him…in the press. set up a scholarship in his name, eventually and I’m talking away, way down the road, we file an insurance claim.” — Les Grossman
23. “Now, if you recall that whole hullabaloo where Hollywood was split into schisms, some studios backing Blu-ray disc, others backing HD DVD. People thought it would come down to pixel rate or refresh rate, and they’re pretty much the same. What it came down to was a combination between gamers and p**n. Now, whichever format p**no backs is usually the one that becomes the uh most successful. But, you know, Sony, every PlayStation 3 has a Blu-ray in it.” — Kevin Sandusky
24. “Speed man is a dying star a white dwarf heading for a black role that’s physics it’s inveditible.” — Les Grossman
25. “What, Alpa Chino? He’s like ten girls deep, 24/7.” — Kevin Sandusky
26. “The universe… is talking to us right now. You just gotta listen.” — Les Grossman
27. “Shut the f*** up and let me do my job! ” — Les Grossman
28. “Any idiot can do what you do. Get lost and claim credit for something like you usually do.” — Les Grossman
Tropic Thunder quotes from Kirk Lazarus and Tugg
29. “Anyone can be gay if they want to be.” — Kirk Lazarus
30. “This guy is dead. There ain’t no magic here.” — Kirk Lazarus
31. “I don’t have to tell you anything.” — Kirk Lazarus
32. “I’m like a child who plays with himself whenever he’s scared.” — Kirk Lazarus
33. “Let’s all be nice. Let’s all get the job done.” — Kirk Lazarus
34. Tugg Speedman: “I have been worthless all my life, but you need to know something.”
Kirk Lazarus: “What do I need to know?”
Tugg Speedman: “I think of you as my brother.”
Kirk Lazarus: “Tugg, I’m already you’re brother.”
35. “Pump your brakes, kid. That man’s a national treasure.” — Kirk Lazarus
36. “You went full retard man, never go full stupid.” — Kirk Lazarus
37. “Man, we’re lost, we’re super lost! ” — Kirk Lazarus
38. “Goodbye mama, now you can have ice cream in heaven! I’ll see you again tonight when I go to bed in my head movies. But this head movie makes my eyes rain! ” — Tugg Speedman
39. “Or are you a dude who has no idea what dude he is and claims to know what dude he is? ” — Tugg Speedman
40. “Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth’s atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.” — Kirk Lazarus
41. “That’s what that playin’ God stuff was about, trying to get us to act good to save the movie.” — Tugg Speedman
42. “My farm? Here’s my motherf*****g farm! I’m a lead farmer, motherf****r!” — Kirk Lazarus
43. “I just corn syrup you guys! Blood flavored… corn syrup.” — Tugg Speedman
44. “You know that’s a true story? Lady lost her kid. You about to cross a f*cking line.” — Lazarus
45. “I was wrong! Blow the bridge! Blow the f**k**g bridge.” — Tugg Speedman
Tropic Thunder quotes from Four Leaf Tayback
46. “I wrote the book to honor the vets in the war. I am a patriotic person.” — Four Leaf Tayback
47. “What do you mean? Writers don’t always tell the truth.” — Four Leaf Tayback
48. “Get some cameras we could take out there. They will be put in the trees in different spots. Give me and the fire starter, Cody, all of the explosives you have. Let’s take them all up there and light up the jungle. Let’s make these divas crap in their pants and call out for their mothers. They’ll be asking for a way out if it means they could go home.” — Four Leaf Tayback
49. “I don’t know what kind of gun this is. I only know the sound man it makes when it kills a man.” — Four Leaf Tayback
50. Damien Cockburn: “What do you think about the hotel?
Four Leaf Tayback: “I don’t like it. Beds make me have bad dreams.”
Which of these Tropic Thunder quotes is your favorite?
The film received mixed reviews, with some critics applauding the characters, story, and effort put into the faux trailers. Most critics praised the performances of Stiller, Downey, Black, and Cruise.
However, Vaildaily.com does refer to the movie as’ painfully unfunny.’ There were a few other parts of the film that did receive negative feedback, including Downey in black face and the way the film depicted the mentally handicapped.
Despite the controversy, the film earned $26 million during its North American opening weekend and clung to the number one spot for three weeks. It also grossed more than $188 million worldwide. Downey was nominated for several awards including an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, and a Screen Actors Guild Award. Cruise and Downey also received a nomination for the Golden Globe Award.
Did you enjoy reading these Tropic Thunder quotes and lines? Let us know what you thought of Tropic Thunder in the comment section below, and if you haven’t seen it yet, you might want to give it a chance!