If you’re ready to stop trying to be like everyone else, get inspiration from these unique quotes about being yourself.
It’s easy to fall into the trap of trying to conform to what the people around you are like. When you spend a lot of time on social media, you may find yourself constantly comparing yourself to others and doing your best to “fit in”. But that’s not the best way to live. There’s a lot of pressure in trying to be something that you’re not.
You’re much better off learning how to be yourself. We are all unique and we do our best when we find how to thrive in that uniqueness.
Don’t forget to also check out these be yourself quotes about being authentic and real.
Be Yourself: Encouraging Unique Quotes
1. “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” – Bernard M. Maruch
2. “Just be you, be beautiful and be comfortable in your own skin.” – Helen Edwards
3. “Always be a first-rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.” – Judy Garland
4. “Some people say you are going the wrong way when it’s simply a way of your own.” – Angelina Jolie
5. “Cherish forever what makes you unique, ‘cuz you’re really a yawn if it goes.” – Bette Midler
6. “Our time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” – Steve Jobs
7. “Be yourself, don’t take anything from anyone, and never let them take you alive.” – Gerard Way
8. “Be yourself, everyone else is taken.” – Oscar Wilde
9. “Being different isn’t a bad thing. It means you’re brave enough to be yourself.” – Luna Lovegood
10. “Be different; be unique; be yourself.” – Christina Grimmie
11. “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not.” – Andre Gide
Be Unique Quotes on Overcoming Challenges
12. “The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
13. “Let go of who you think you need to be and just be who you actually are.” – Unknown
14. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” – Maya Angelou
15. “Only recently have I realized that being different is not something you want to hide or squelch or suppress.” – Amy Gerstler
16. “Learn to… be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not.” – Henri Frederic Amiel
17. “To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.” – E.E. Cummings
18. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
19. “People have a problem with me being different, but that propels me forward in life.” – Mary-Louise Parker
Unique quotes about the dangers of not being yourself
20. “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” – Oscar Wilde
21. “Don’t let others box you into their idea of what they think you should be. A confined identity is a miserable way to exist. Be you and live free. Trust that in living true to yourself, you will attract people that support and love you, just as you are.” – Jaeda DeWalt
22. “Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way to live.” – Gianni Versace
23. “Don’t change so people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love the real you.” – Unknown
24. “The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Unique quotes on being yourself
25. “You are you. Now isn’t that pleasant?” – Dr. Seuss
26. “I’ve always loved the idea of not being what people expect me to be.” – Dita Von Teese
27. “Where’s your will to be weird?” – Jim Morrison
28. “The things that make me different are the things that make me.” – Winnie The Pooh
29. “Normal is not something to aspire to, it’s something to get away from.” – Jodie Foster
30. “At bottom, every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
31. “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
32. “Don’t doubt your value. Don’t run from who you are.” – Aslan
33. “You cannot change what you are, only what you do.” – Phillip Pullman
34. “Not all who wander are lost.” – Gandolf
35. “By being yourself you put something wonderful in the world that was not there before.” – Edwin Elliott
36. “If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise.” – Johann von Goethe
Be unique quotes
37. “Fitting in allows you to blend in with everyone else, but being different allows you to be yourself, to be unique, and to be more creative.” – Sonya Parker
38. “Don’t ever compare yourself to others. You are not a copy, you are an original. Craft your own individuality and sense of style and just be yourself.” – Yvonne
39. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” – Maya Angelou
40. “Don’t try to impress people. Always be yourself.” – Bella Thorne
41. “What sets you apart can sometimes feel like a burden and it’s not. And a lot of the time, it’s what makes you great.” – Emma Stone
42. “I’ve come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that’s as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.”- Oprah Winfrey
43. “If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however, measured or far away.” – Henry David Thoreau
44. “The person who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The person who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever seen before.” – Albert Einstein
45. “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” – Coco Chanel
46. “Just be yourself. Let people see the real, imperfect, flawed, quirky, weird, beautiful, magical person that you are.” – Mandy Hale
47. “Remember, it’s ok to be yourself.” – Richard Branson
48. “Whatever you do, be different – that was the advice my mother gave me, and I can’t think of better advice for an entrepreneur. If you’re different, you will stand out.”- Anita Roddick
49. “Stay true to yourself. An original is worth more than a copy.” – Suzy Kassem
50. “Be yourself, but always your better self.” – Karl G. Maeser
What did you learn from these unique quotes?
If you struggle with trying to compare yourself to others, it can be hard to start shifting your mindset to being uniquely you. But once you do, you’ll likely find that you’re much happier because of it. There is freedom in learning how to be yourself instead of trying to fit in with the crowd.
If you’re having a hard time making this mindset shift, choose a few of the unique quotes above that inspire you. Then, place them up around your house or keep them by your desk or as the wallpaper on your phone, so you’ll be constantly reminded of just how uniquely wonderful you are.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these unique quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.