I’ve been a wife for 18 years and some of these wife quotes were easy to relate to. If you have been married for any length of time, these quotes will resonate with you in one way or another. Some others made me laugh!
If you are looking for romantic words to say to your wife, skip some of these wife quotes, unless she has a wonderful sense of humor. It seems like everyone from authors, comedians, and philosophers had something to contribute to these wife quotes.
Have you wondered what it means to be a good wife or be married to one? The answer to that depends on your relationship and personal values, but that didn’t stop people from weighing in!
There are also plenty of wife quotes that offer some sage advice and wisdom, regardless of how long you have been married.
Keep reading to find out words you can say to your wife that will make her smile and things you probably shouldn’t say out loud if you want to remain married!
Don’t forget to also check out these romantic couple quotes to inspire more love and affection.
Best wife quotes about having a good wife and being a good husband
1. “That’s what a good wife does, keeps your dreams alive even when you don’t believe anymore” ― Michael J. Sullivan
2. “Of all the home remedies, a good wife is best.” ― Kin Hubbard
3. “For a man wins nothing better than a good wife, and then again nothing deadlier than a bad one.” ― Hesiod
4. “That’s what a good wife does, keeps your dreams alive even when you don’t believe anymore.” ― Michael J. Sullivan
5. “If you would have a good wife, marry one who has been a good daughter.” ― Thomas Fuller
6. “My advice to you is; get married: if you find a good wife you’ll be happy; if not, you’ll become a philosopher.” ― Socrates
7. “A good husband makes a good wife.” ― John Florio
8. “Women are radiant when cherished by the one they love. If your wife is admired by others, kudos, you’re a caring husband.” ― Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
9. “Being a husband or a wife is already a huge responsibility to shoulder, without adding in the expectations.” ― Norhafsah Hamid
Positive wife quotes that will make you laugh
10. “I told my wife the truth. I told her I was seeing a psychiatrist. Then she told me the truth: that she was seeing a psychiatrist, two plumbers, and a bartender.” ― Rodney Dangerfield
11. “A wife is like a children’s movie; always under-appreciated and without either, life would be incomplete.” ― John Steinbeck
12. “He was love blind. His wife walked him through.” ― Ljupka Cvetanova
13. “A man who doesn’t consult with his wife is operating at half potential.” ― Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
14. “A man is little use when his wife’s a widow. Scottish proverb.” ― Colin Dexter
15. “Most of a husband’s life is spent in doing research on his wife.” ― Pawan Mishra
16. “But the thing is, a wife is a wife and you can’t ditch her like a worn shirt after a life.” ― Yiyun
17. “That’s a very admirable quality in a wife. The ability to admit she is in the wrong.” ― Lindsay Armstrong
18. “My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then she stops to breathe.” ― Jimmy Durante
19. “Marriage is not kick-boxing, it’s salsa dancing.” ― Amit Kalantri
20. “No wife wants to hear that her husband is less than perfect.” ― Sophie Kinsella
21. “There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won’t, and that’s a wife who can’t cook and will.” ― Robert Frost
Inspirational wife quotes from famous women
22. “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” ― Jane Austen
23. “I have too many fantasies to be a housewife… I guess I am a fantasy.” ― Marilyn Monroe
24. “Any husband who stammers that he’s just been too busy to tell his wife he loves her is a lazy fool or a liar.” ― Marsha Hinds
25. “I’ll be a wife and mother first, then First Lady.” ― Jackie Kennedy
26. “The real act of marriage takes place in the heart, not in the ballroom or church or synagogue. It’s a choice you make – not just on your wedding day, but over and over again – and that choice is reflected in the way you treat your husband or wife.” ― Barbara De Angelis
27. “Any man, mortal or god, knows there is no handling a wife. Women handle themselves and intelligent men get out of the way.” ― Colleen Houck
28. “I know what it is to live entirely for and with what I love best on earth. I hold myself supremely blest — blest beyond what language can express; because I am my husband’s life as fully as he is mine.” ― Charlotte Brontë
Wife quotes and sayings that are filled with wisdom
29. “It does help to actually realize that however stunning the person who is, you know, fluttering eyelashes at you, she doesn’t do anything to match up to your wife.” ― Colin Firth
30. “Wife and loneliness are the best friends of a man. If wife leaves you, loneliness follows you wherever you are!” ― Fahad Basheer
31. “You can always tell how a man will treat his wife by the way he treats his mother.” ― Nitya Prakash
32. “There are times in life which proves life is wife and wife is life.” ― Fahad Basheer
33. “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.” ― Franz Schubert
34. “Value your wife by valuing what she says.” ― Jim George
35. “Don’t constantly make angry your wife. Once she throws you out of her heart, there is no appeal.” ― Bangambiki Habyarimana
36. “A wife who discomforts you with truth is better than a mistress who massages you with lies.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
37. “A man should not compete with his wife in talk but in silence.” ― Bangambiki Habyarimana
38. “Dear women, do not marry until you find your true being, your mission.” ― Sunday Adelaja
39. “Never advise a man against his wife or a wife against his husband. When they come together again, you will be the archenemy. When they separate, the fault will all be yours.” ― Bangambiki Habyarimana
40. “A man with a good wife is the luckiest of God’s creatures, and one without must be among the most miserable, I think, the only true blessing of their lives that they don’t know how poorly off they are.” ― Stephen King
Other inspirational quotes for wife
41. “Because that is what a husband is supposed to do for his wife: lay down his life even when he doesn’t have to.” ― K. Weikel
42. “Let the wife make the husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave.” ― Martin Luther
43. “A husband must love the wife like his own soul.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
44. “Your wife is your life. Don’t let strife thrive in your union.” ― Ifeanyi Enoch Onuoha
45. “The holy duty of a husband is to love the wife.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
46. “You become a man when you marry, not just for love but to be a partner with your wife. To be the best man you can be with her, and when you fall short, to admit your shortcomings and to constantly strive to be a great man to your wife.” ― Carew Papritz
47. “You can make your marriage a little bit of heaven on earth by following God’s plan of teamwork.” ― Jim George
48. “A man and wife should see the best in each other, should work together, should enjoy each other.” ― Gena Showalter
49. “… there are no sweeter words in the English language (or any other) than husband and wife.” ― Lanier Ivester
50. “My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.” ― Winston Churchill
What did you learn from these wife quotes?
What makes a good wife varies depending on culture and religious beliefs. However, the trite list of what makes a good wife, like trustworthiness, shared beliefs, kindness, and patience also could be said about what makes a good person. I also wanted my husband to be all of those things!
Choosing a spouse is important work and will affect your life, so it should require some thought. However, plenty of people who get married after only knowing each other for a short while, have long-lasting happy marriages.
My husband and I got married young and we are still going strong. I do not believe there is a one size fits all formula for relationships. Do what works for you as you will be one of the people living through the relationship.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these wife quotes and sayings? Do you feel you have the best wife in the world? Share why she is your better half in the comment section below!