If you aren’t familiar with The Lord of the Rings, Gandalf the wizard is someone you want to know about. Learn more in these Gandalf quotes.
If you have seen the movies or read the books The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, then you are familiar with the wizard, Gandalf. One of his best qualities is his leadership ability. Gandalf is the one who gathers the groups to fight evil and not only does he gather them, he goes to war with them.
Gandalf is wise and has traveled far and seen many things. His wisdom and experience allow him to lead the resistance against evil and to bring together those who are good.
Don’t forget to also check out these iconic gangster quotes from popular crime films
Wise Gandalf Quotes
1. “Death is just another path… One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass… And then you see it.” – Gandalf
2. “Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” – Gandalf
3. “All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.” – Gandalf
4. “The world is not in your books and maps. It is out there.” – Gandalf
5. “The treacherous are ever distrustful.” – Gandalf
6. “Home is now behind you, the world is ahead!” – Gandalf
7. “It’s the deep breath before the plunge.” – Gandalf
8. “You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you.” – Gandalf
9. “It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.” – Gandalf
10. “If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact, and respect, and no small degree of charm…which is why you will leave the talking to me.” – Gandalf
11. “I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past.” – Gandalf
12. “Others may contest your will, when it is turned to madness and evil.” – Gandalf
13. “Only a small part is played in great deeds by any hero.” – Gandalf
14. “The wise speak only of what they know.” – Gandalf
15. “It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.” – Gandalf
16. “Do not then stumble at the end of the road.” – Gandalf
17. “Alas! there are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured.” – Gandalf
18. “Many are the strange chances of the world, and help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the wise falter.” – Gandalf
19. “Don’t underestimate the evil of gold.” – Gandalf
Inspirational Gandalf Quotes
20. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Gandalf
21. “Courage will now be your best defence against the storm that is at hand —that and such hope as I bring.” – Gandalf
22. “True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.” – Gandalf
23. “Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?” – Gandalf
24. “Have patience. Go where you must go, and hope!” – Gandalf
25. “All your long years we have been friends. Trust me as you once did, let it go.” – Gandalf
26. “However it may prove, one must tread the path that need chooses!” – Gandalf
27. “He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.” – Gandalf
28. “Yet it is not our part to master all tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.” – Gandalf
29. “I will not say Do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.” – Gandalf
30. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” – Gandalf
31. “Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.” – Gandalf
32. “The burned hand teaches best. After that advice about fire goes to the heart.” – Gandalf
33. “Have patience. Go where you must go, and hope!” – Gandalf
More Gandalf Quotes
34. “Fly you fools.” – Gandalf
35. “Go back to the abyss! Fall into nothingness that awaits you and your master!” – Gandalf
36. “Don’t put a lump of rock under my elbow again!” – Gandalf
37. “Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” – Gandalf
38. “A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he needs to.” – Gandalf
39. “Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.” – Gandalf
40. “Generous deed should not be checked by cold counsel.” – Gandalf
41. “Oh, it’s quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open.” – Gandalf
42. “If in doubt… Always follow your nose.” – Gandalf
43. “Do as I say! Swords are no more use here.” – Gandalf
44. “You must settle its affairs yourselves; that is what you have been trained for. Do you not yet understand? My time is over: it is no longer my task to set things to rights, nor to help folk to do so. And as for you, my dear friends, you will need no help. You are grown up now. Grown indeed very high; among the great you are, and I have no longer any fear at all for any of you.” – Gandalf
45. “I think you should leave the ring behind, Bilbo. Is that so hard?” – Gandalf
46. “I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.” – Gandalf
47. “Fight! Fight to the last man! Fight for your lives!” – Gandalf
48. “Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.” – Gandalf
49. “You’ve been sitting quietly for far too long!” – Gandalf
50. “I think there’s more to this Hobbit than meets the eye.” – Gandalf
51. “Keep it secret. Keep it safe.” – Gandalf
52. “You must trust yourself. Trust your own strengths.” – Gandalf
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Lord of The Rings quotes from the iconic trilogy.
What did you learn from these Gandalf quotes?
Hopefully, you were able to gather some insight into who Gandalf was and what he stood for while you read through the quotes above. If you enjoy good action movies or books with a diverse set of characters, then I advise you to follow more of Gandalf and his adventures in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.
If you were already a fan of Gandalf, seeing his quotes might get you excited to watch the movies or read the books again. The trials that Gandalf and his friends encounter and overcome are inspirational to see. May you continue to expand your knowledge and wisdom like Gandalf!
So, which of these Gandalf quotes and sayings is your favorite? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.