These Veterans Day quotes will help you honor the sacrifices made for our country by our heroes.
Veterans Day is a day to honor our military veterans for their service to the country. It is a day to salute our heroes for the sacrifices they made for our nation.
The origin of Veterans Day can be traced back to World War I. The Armistice with Germany, which formally ended the war, went into effect at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. That is the origin of Veterans Day.
Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day. While Memorial Day honors those who died while in military service, Veterans Day honors all American veterans, living and dead.
It takes tremendous courage for a soldier to risk it all to protect his/her country. The least we civilians can do is to offer thanks to these extraordinary men and women. In that respect, here are some inspirational and patriotic Veterans Day quotes to help you honor them.
Veterans Day quotes to honor our heroes
1. “Honoring the sacrifices many have made for our country in the name of freedom and democracy is the very foundation of Veterans Day.” – Charles B. Rangel
2. “The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude.” — Jeff Miller
3. “Spending time with America’s soldiers is always inspiring.” – John Boehner
4. “Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don’t know how far we can go.”– Bernard Malamud
5. “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
6. “Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it… it flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.” – Unknown
7. “America’s veterans embody the ideals upon which America was founded more than 229 years ago.” – Steve Buyer
8. “Support our troops!” we cry, but I say, “Love our veterans!” And when he neglects church, take him cookies anyway. Sing him a song. Pet his cat.” – Chila Woychik
9. “Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!” – Sun Tzu
10. “This is a day we remember the toil, of the blood and the battle on far distant soil. Lest we forget – lest our memories should fade, ’twas our boys that we lost, ’twas a high price they paid.” – Greta Zwaan
Veterans Day quotes to say thank you to our military
11. “The reward of one duty is the power to fulfill another.” – George Eliot
12. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” — John F. Kennedy
13. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” – Maya Angelou
14. “It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – Norman Schwarzkopf
15. “For the veteran, thank you for bravely doing what you’re called to do so we can safely do what we’re free to do.” – Unknown
16. “To The Veterans of the United States of America
Thank you, for the cost you paid for our freedom, thank you for the freedom to live in safety and pursue happiness, for freedom of speech (thus my book), and for all the freedoms that we daily take for granted.” – Sara Niles
17. “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
18. “Peace has victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
19. “When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep?” – George Canning
20. “When the peace treaty is signed, the war isn’t over for the veterans or the family. It’s just starting.” — Karl Marlantes
You might also like our list of the best war quotes from writers, politicians and more.
Veterans Day quotes to salute our heroes
21. “Never was so much owed by so many to so few.” –Winston Churchill
22. “The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.” – Douglas MacArthur
23. “My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place–police, firefighters, and members of our armed forces.” — Sidney Sheldon
24. “On this Veterans Day, let us remember the service of our veterans, and let us renew our national promise to fulfill our sacred obligations to our veterans and their families who have sacrificed so much so that we can live free.” – Dan Lipinski
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes about service about the power of serving others.
25. “Caring for veterans shouldn’t be a partisan issue. It should an American one.” – Jennifer Granholm
26. “Twenty-five million veterans are living among us today. These men and women selflessly set aside their civilian lives to put on the uniform and serve us.” – Steve Buyer
27. “American without her soldiers would be like God without his angels.” – Claudia Pemberton
28. “In this Veteran’s Day we stop and are thankful for all those who have fought in wars so that we have may all enjoy our freedom. The bravery and risk that these men and women took will not be forgotten.” – Catherine Pulsifer
29. “But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, Is their monument to-day, and for aye.” –Thomas Dunn English
30. “In valor there is hope.” — Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Happy Veterans Day quotes
31. “There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism.” – Alexander Hamilton
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Alexander Hamilton quotes that remain true today.
32. “The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.” — Abraham Lincoln
33. “The veterans of our military services have put their lives on the line to protect the freedoms that we enjoy. They have dedicated their lives to their country and deserve to be recognized for their commitment.” – Judd Gregg
34. “America’s Veterans have served their country with the belief that democracy and freedom are ideals to be upheld around the world.”- John Doolittle
35. “In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.” – Jose Narosky
36. “Better than honor and glory, and History’s iron pen, Was the thought of duty done and the love of his fellow-men.” –Richard Watson Gilder
37. “We gather to remember, to honor those who’ve died,
And thank God for the veterans who still stand at our side.” – Greta Zwaan
38. “We owe an immeasurable debt to our veterans, to the fallen, and to the families who love them. Just as our servicemen and women have taken care of us, we must also take care of them. It is our sacred duty as a country to be there for our heroes when they need us most.” – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
39. “Today is the day we should reminisce for those who fought valiantly for the pride, honor, and freedom of our country. Happy Veterans Day!” – Unknown
40. “The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave.” — Patrick Henry
Veterans Day quotes to inspire and teach
41. “Brave men rejoice in adversity, just as brave soldiers triumph in war.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
42. “Our veterans accepted the responsibility to defend America and uphold our values when duty called.” – Bill Shuster
43. “I think there is one higher office than president and I would call that patriot.” – Gary Hart
44. “It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.” – Zell Miller
45. “Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.” – Douglas MacArthur
46. “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” – George Orwell
47. “Thank you for the sacrifices you and your families are making. Our Vietnam Veterans have taught us that no matter what our positions may be on policy, as Americans and patriots, we must support all of our soldiers with our thoughts and our prayers.” – Zack Wamp
48. “To those seniors, and especially elderly veterans like myself, I want to tell you this: You are not alone, and you having nothing to be ashamed of. If elder abuse happened to me, it can happen to anyone. I want you to know that you deserve better.” – Mickey Rooney
49. “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” – Cynthia Ozick
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Gratitude quotes that will transform your perspective.
50. “We recognize and celebrate the heroes all of our veterans, we shall forever be grateful. You inspire and encourage us, your unselfishness, your courage, and your willingness to protect our freedom – no words can express our thanks.” – Kate Summers
Other patriotic Veterans Day quotes
51. “The thing we all had in common wasn’t muscle; it was the will to do whatever it takes.” — Chris Kyle
52. “America’s veterans deserve the very best health care because they’ve earned it.” — Jim Ramstad
53. “Americans never quit.” — Douglas MacArthur
54. “This country has not seen and probably will never know the true level of sacrifice of our veterans.” — Thomas M. Smith
55. “Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.” — Ronald Reagan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Ronald Reagan quotes from the former United States President.
56. “These fallen heroes represent the character of a nation who has a long history of patriotism and honor – and a nation who has fought many battles to keep our country free from threats of terror.” — Michael N. Castle
57. “America without her soldiers would be like God without his angels.” — Claudia Pemberton
58. “On the occasion of Veteran Day, let us all remember the unconditional services of our veterans and let us come together to revive our promise to our nation to fulfill the obligations to all our veterans who gave their lives for the country. Warm wishes on this special day.” – Unknown
59. “The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation.” — George Washington
If you’re enjoying these quotes, check out our George Washington quotes from America’s first president.
60. “Today is the most special day…. for the brave men…living and dead… who have given their lives in the service of the nation without asking anything in return… let us remember their sacrifices and honor their services by celebrating Veterans Day.” – Unknown
We also have a collection of hero quotes that will inspire you to make a difference.
61. “Beginner knows rules, but veterans know exceptions.” – Amit Kalantri
62. “Damn the wars but bless the soldier.” – T.L. Moffitt
Which of these Veterans Day quotes was your favorite?
Our military veterans risked it all to protect the freedoms that we enjoy. They accepted the responsibility to defend America and uphold our values when duty called.
Our heroes deserve recognition for the commitment and dedication to their country. Hopefully, these quotes have inspired you to honor these great men and women with words of appreciation.
Did you enjoy these Veterans Day quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.