Looking for thought-provoking dream quotes about your waking life?
The study of dreams has long been a fascination with many.
People often wake up puzzled by what they have dreamt.
Some want to search for the meaning of what ran through their mind.
As bizarre as some of the images and themes may seem, dreams are our subconscious way of working through things that are troubling us, or that are unsettled, while we sleep.
Dreams have been studied by so many individuals for years.
Many books have been written explaining the symbolism found in them.
While there is some discrepancy or multiple meanings for some of the dream symbols, most remain consistent. Understanding them can help an individual see the bigger picture and find greater meaning in their dreams.
In this respect, here are some dream quotes, dream sayings, and dream proverbs from some of the great – and surprising minds – of our time. Read them to understand more about your dreams and the nature of your reality.
We also have a collection of inspirational good night quotes to put you in the right place before you sleep. Be sure to read that as well.
Dream quotes to help you interpret your dreams and waking life better
1. “Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives.”- William Dement
2. “All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.”- Edgar Allan Poe
3. “Dreams are illustrations…from the book your soul is writing about you.”- Marsha Norman
4. “The best thing about dreams is that fleeting moment, when you are between asleep and awake, when you don’t know the difference between reality and fantasy, when for just that one moment you feel with your entire soul that the dream is reality, and it really happened.”- James Arthur Baldwin
5. “Dreams feel real while we’re in them. It’s only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.”- Inception, 2010 film
6. “Even the loveliest dream bears like a blemish its difference from reality, the awareness that what it grants is mere illusion.”- Theodor Wiesengrund Adorno
7. “Dreams are often most profound when they seem the most crazy.”- Sigmund Freud
9. “Yet it is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top.”- Virginia Woolf
10. “Dreaming is an act of pure imagination, attesting in all men a creative power, which if it were available in waking, would make every man a Dante or Shakespeare.”- H.F. Hedge
11. “All the things one has forgotten scream for help in dreams.”- Elias Canetti
12. “For often, when one is asleep, there is something in consciousness which declares that what then presents itself is but a dream.”- Aristotle
13. “Dreams are more real than reality itself, they’re closer to the self.”- Gao Xingjian
14. “The interpretation of dreams is the royal road to a knowledge of the unconscious activities of the mind.”- Sigmund Freud
15. “Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?”- Alfred Lord Tennyson
16. “In sleep, fantasy takes the form of dreams. But in waking life, too, we continue to dream beneath the threshold of consciousness, especially when under the influence of repressed or other unconscious complexes.”- Carl Jung
17. “A dream which is not interpreted is like a letter which is not read.”- The Talmud
18. “I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake.”- René Descartes
Also check out our list of The Secret quotes that will inspire you to manifest your dreams.
Dream quotes about the nature of our reality
19. “Your world is not real!”- Inception, 2010 film
20. “Every dream that anyone ever has is theirs alone and they never manage to share it. And they never manage to remember it either. Not truly or accurately. Not as it was. Our memories and our vocabularies aren’t up to the job.”- Alex Garland
21. “Dreams are excursions into the limbo of things, a semi-deliverance from the human prison.”- Henri Amiel
22. “Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking.”- Clifton Fadiman
23. “Sleep… Oh! How I loathe those little slices of death.”- Author unknown
24. “Huge and mighty forms that do not live like living men, moved slowly through the mind by day and were trouble to my dreams.”- William Wordsworth
25. “Dreams say what they mean, but they don’t say it in daytime language.”- Gail Godwin
26. “A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.”- Charlotte Brontë
27. “Recall the old story of the rather refined young man who preferred sex dreams to visiting brothels because he met a much nicer type of girl that way.”- Vivian Mercer
28. “I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can play together all night.”- Bill Watterson
29. “There’s a long, long trail a-winding into the land of my dreams.”- Stoddard King, Jr.
30. “One can write, think, and pray exclusively of others; dreams are all egocentric.”- Evelyn Waugh
31. “Our dreams disturb us because they refuse to pander to our fondest notions of ourselves. The closer one looks, the more they seem to insist upon a challenging proposition: You must live truthfully. Right now. And always. Few forces in life present, with an equal sense of inevitability, the bare-knuckle facts of who we are, and the demands of what we might become.”- Marc Ian Barasch
32. “In a dream you are never eighty.”- Anne Sexton
33. “In dreams, we enter a world that’s entirely our own.”- Steven Kloves
34. “I’ll take the dream I had last night, And put it in my freezer, So someday long and far away, When I’m an old grey greezer, I’ll take it out and thaw it out, This lovely dream I’ve frozen, And boil it up and sit me down And dip my old cold toes in.”- Shel Silverstein
35. “Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day.”- Friedrich Nietzsche
Don’t forget to also read these insightful reality quotes that will inspire you to live your best life.
Beautiful Dream Quotes for You
36. “The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary.”- Ashleigh Brilliant
37. “I have always been amazed at the way an ordinary observer lends so much more credence and attaches so much more importance to waking events than to those occurring in dreams…. Man… is above all the plaything of his memory.”- Andre Breton
38. “A dream is a microscope through which we look at the hidden occurrences in our soul.”- Erich Fromm
39. “Even thus last night, and two nights more I lay, And could not win thee, Sleep, by any stealth: So do not let me wear to-night away. Without thee what is all the morning’s wealth? Come, blessed barrier between day and day, Dear mother of fresh thoughts and joyous health!”- William Wordsworth
40. “We are not only less reasonable and less decent in our dreams… we are also more intelligent, wiser, and capable of better judgment when we are asleep than when we are awake.”- Erich Fromm
41. “For a dreamer, night’s the only time of day.”- Newsies
42. “Sleep that knits up the raveled sleave of care, The death of each day’s life, sore labour’s bath Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course, Chief nourisher in life’s feast.”- William Shakespeare, Macbeth
43. “Those who have compared our life to a dream were right…. We sleeping wake, and waking sleep.”- Michel de Montaigne
44. “The sailor does not control the sea, nor does the lucid dreamer control the dream. Like a sailor, lucid dreamers manipulate or direct themselves in the larger expanse of dreaming; however, they do not control it. Lucid dreaming appears to be a co-created experience.”- Robert Waggoner
45. “Pause now to ask yourself the following question: ‘Am I dreaming or awake, right now?’ Be serious, really try to answer the question to the best of your ability and be ready to justify your answer.”- Stephen LaBerge
46. “A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.” – Colin Powell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of magic quotes about the power of the unseen.
47. “A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.” – Yoko Ono
48. “The Future Belongs To Those Who Believe In The Beauty Of Their Dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
49. “There Is Only One Thing That Makes A Dream Impossible To Achieve: The Fear Of Failure.” – Paulo Coelho
50. “As soon as you start to pursue a dream, your life wakes up and everything has meaning.” – Barbara Sher
Also check out these insomnia quotes for when you can’t sleep.
Dream quotes to elevate your mind
51. “When you cease to dream, you cease to live.” – Malcolm Forbes
52. “So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.” – Christopher Reeve
53. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ― Dr. Seuss
54. “I can think. I can sleep. I can move. I can ride my bike. I can dream.” – Bill Walton
55. “Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all is a form of planning.” ― Gloria Steinem
56. “Dreams are real while they last — can we say more of life?” – The sexologist and writer Havelock Ellis (1859-1939)
57. “Dreams are not what you see in your sleep, dreams are things which do not let you sleep.”— Cristiano Ronaldo
58. “Dreams are only thoughts you didn’t have time to think about during the day.” ~Author Unknown
59. “Dreams are foreign lands within the bounds of our own hearts.”~Terri Guillemets
60. “Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream, the butcher’s the poet’s equal there.”~ Emile M. Cioran
Thought-provoking dream quotes
61. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”– Ralph Waldo Emerson
62. “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
63. “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.”– Mae Jemison
64. “I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past.” – Thomas Jefferson
65. “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”– Mark Twain
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of ambition quotes to set your sights sky high.
66. “A man must dream a long time in order to act with grandeur, and dreaming is nursed in darkness.” – Jean Genet
67. “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”– Harriet Tubman
68. “If you give up on your dreams, what’s left?” – Jim Carrey
69. “Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men.”– Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
70. “Yesterday’s dreams are often tomorrow’s realities.” – Bruce Lee
Also check out these moon quotes that will inspire you to believe in your purpose.
Other motivational dream quotes
71. “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dreams that you wish will come true.” – Walt Disney Company
72. “Sometimes the dreams that come true are the dreams you never even knew you had.” – Alice Sebold
73. “Dreams don’t work unless you take action. The surest way to make your dreams come true is to live them.” – Roy T. Bennett
74. “Permit your dreams to see the daylight.” – Bernard Kelvin Clive
75. “Dream your own dreams, achieve your own goals. Your journey is your own and unique.” – Roy T. Bennett
76. “Dreams have only one owner at a time. That’s why dreamers are lonely.” – William Faulkner
77. “No one has ever achieved greatness without dreams.” – Roy T. Bennett
78. “All human beings are also dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together.” – Jack Kerouac
79. “The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.” – Paul Valéry
80. “Know what you want to do, hold the thought firmly, and do every day what should be done, and every sunset will see you that much nearer the goal.” – Elbert Hubbard
Which of these dream quotes is your favorite?
Dreams mean different things to different people. They can also be interpreted in a myriad of ways; whether or not you enjoy dreaming.
Hopefully, these dream quotes inspired or motivated you for your next nighttime sojourn
Which of these dream quotes is your favorite? Do you have any other interesting quotes about dreams to share with us? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.