Our latest collection of Friedrich Nietzsche quotes on Everyday Power.
Friedrich Nietzsche was a German philosopher, essayist, and cultural critic whose writings had a major influence on Western philosophy and intellectual history. His body of work covered a wide variety of topics, including religion, history, arts, culture, science, and philology.
Born on October 15, 1844, Nietzsche began his career as a classical philologist before turning to philosophy. In his works, he attempted to unmask the motives that underlie traditional Western religion, morality, and philosophy. His ideas had a profound impact on generations of philosophers, psychologists, poets, theologians, playwrights, and novelists.
Most of Nietzsche’s life was plagued by health problems and he suffered a complete loss of his mental faculties in 1889 at age 44. He died in 1900.
Although his name was later invoked by fascists to advance their own German nationalist ideologies, Nietzsche was opposed to antisemitism and nationalism.
Below are some thought-provoking Friedrich Nietzsche quotes that will inspire you to think like the greats and tap into your Everyday Power.
Be sure to also read our collection of inspirational C.S. Lewis quotes.
Friedrich Nietzsche quotes on life and love
1. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
2. “To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
3. “We love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
4. “Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
5. “A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
6. “The demand to be loved is the greatest of all arrogant presumptions.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
7. “Whatever is done for love always occurs beyond good and evil.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
8. “Art is the proper task of life.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
9. “I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
10. “Life is that which must overcome itself again and again.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich Nietzsche quotes about happiness and truth
11. “And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
12. “How little it takes to make us happy! The sound of a bagpipe. Without music life would be a mistake. The German even imagines God as singing songs.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
13. “In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
14. “The most common lie is that which one lies to himself; lying to others is relatively an exception.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
15. “What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not a goal. ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
16. “The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
17. “Underneath this reality in which we live and have our being, another and altogether different reality lies concealed.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
18. “People are always angry at anyone who chooses very individual standards for his life; because of the extraordinary treatment which that man grants to himself, they feel degraded, like ordinary beings.” ” – Friedrich Nietzsche
19. “I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
20. “It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Also check out these quotes from Karl Marx that inspire critical thinking and questioning of society.
Thought-provoking Friedrich Nietzsche quotes
21. “. . . It seems to me that a human being with the very best of intentions can do immeasurable harm, if he is immodest enough to wish to profit those whose spirit and will are concealed from him. . . .” – Friedrich Nietzsche
22. “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
23. “All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
24. “You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
25. “In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
26. “The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
27. “When we are tired, we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
28. “Every deep thinker is more afraid of being understood than of being misunderstood.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
29. “One ought to hold on to one’s heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
30. “A matter that becomes clear ceases to concern us.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich Nietzsche quotes that will change your thinking
31. “Here the ways of men divide. If you wish to strive for peace of soul and happiness, then believe; if you wish to be a disciple of truth, then inquire.”– Friedrich Nietzsche
32. “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings — always darker, emptier and simpler.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
33. “Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
34. “One repays a teacher badly if one always remains nothing but a pupil.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
35. “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”– Friedrich Nietzsche
36. “One must give value to their existence by behaving as if ones very existence were a work of art.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
37. “He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
38. “A thought comes when it will, not when I will.”– Friedrich Nietzsche
39. “A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
40. “There will always be rocks in the road ahead of us. They will be stumbling blocks or stepping stones; it all depends on how you use them.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
You might also like these profound atheist quotes for asking valuable questions.
Friedrich Nietzsche quotes that will challenge you to think differently
41. “No one can construct for you the bridge upon which precisely you must cross the stream of life, no one but you yourself alone.”― Friedrich Nietzsche
42. “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”― Friedrich Nietzsche
43. “A good writer possesses not only his own spirit but also the spirit of his friends.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
44. “A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.”― Friedrich Nietzsche
45. “There are no facts, only interpretations.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
46. “If you know the why, you can live any how.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
47. “The author must keep his mouth shut when his work starts to speak.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
48. “There is an old illusion. It is called good and evil.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
49. “In the mountains of truth, you never climb in vain.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
50. “Anyone who has declared someone else to be an idiot, a bad apple, is annoyed when it turns out in the end that he isn’t. ” ― Friedrich Neitzsche
Friedrich Nietzsche quotes to elevate your mind
51. “In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of insanity quotes to help you stay sane in the chaos that is life.
52. “There are no beautiful surfaces without a terrible depth.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
53. “What does your conscience say? — ‘You should become the person you are’.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
54. “One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
55. “Ultimately, it is the desire, not the desired, that we love.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
56. “Is life not a thousand times too short for us to bore ourselves?”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
57. “I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage” ― Fredrich Nietzsche
58. “The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
59. “What is the truth, but a lie agreed upon.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
60. “Truths are illusions which we have forgotten are illusions.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Also check out these Fyodor Dostoyevsky quotes and sayings that will inspire you to follow your dreams
Powerful Friedrich Nietzsche quotes
61. “That which needs to be proved cannot be worth much.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
62. “There are two different types of people in the world, those who want to know, and those who want to believe.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
63. “To do great things is difficult, but to command great things is more difficult.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
64. “Sometimes people don’t want to hear the truth because they don’t want their illusions destroyed.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
65. “Many a man fails as an original thinker simply because his memory it too good.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
66. “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
67. “One may sometimes tell a lie, but the grimace that accompanies it tells the truth.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
68. “Enjoy life. This is not a dress rehearsal.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
69. “It is my ambition to say in ten sentences; what others say in a whole book.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
70. “Do you want to have an easy life? Then always stay with the herd and lose yourself in the herd.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
More Friedrich Nietzsche quotes and sayings
71. “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
72. “The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
73. “Love is a state in which a man sees things most decidedly as they are not.” – Nietzsche, Friedrich
74. “Love brings to light a lover’s noble and hidden qualities-his rare and exceptional traits: it is thus liable to be deceptive of his normal qualities.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
75. “It is nobler to declare oneself wrong than to insist on being right –especially when one is right.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
76. “I fear you close by; I love you far away.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
77. “The lie is a condition of life.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
78. “Existence really is an imperfect tense that never becomes a present.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
79. “Sometimes it is harder to accede to a thing than it is to see its truth.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
80. “What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives acts and experiences otherwise than we do?” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Which Friedrich Nietzsche quotes were your favorite?
Although most of Friedrich Nietzsche’s life was plagued by health problems, he managed to leave a lasting impact on generations of philosophers, novelists, and psychologists.
His words can help us reflect on our past and present lives, as well as the person we want to be in the future.
Hopefully, these Friedrich Nietzsche quotes have inspired you to think differently about life and love.
Did you enjoy these Friedrich Nietzsche quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear al about it.