Our latest collection of Frederick Douglass quotes that will inspire you to stand for what you believe in.
Frederick Douglass was an American social reformer, abolitionist, writer, and orator whose work helped educate people about the horrors of slavery and helped move the abolitionist movement forward.
Born into slavery around 1818, Douglass taught himself to read and write before escaping from slavery in 1838. In the early 1840s, he began attending meetings of the abolitionist movement and later became a national leader of the movement in Massachusetts and New York.
Although he did not receive any formal education, Douglass penned several biographies and dozens of speeches, thus proving that black people were just as intelligent and talented. In his 1845 bestselling autobiography, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave, which was influential in promoting the cause of abolition, he outlines his experiences as a slave.
Even after the civil war, Douglass remained active in advocating for equality, liberty and human rights. He died in 1895 after suffering a heart.
Long after his death, Douglass continues to serve as an inspiration to those who fight for equality and a more just society. In that respect, here are some inspirational, powerful, and enlightening Frederick Douglass quotes and Frederick Douglass sayings to inspire you to always stand for what is right.
Also read these inspirational Braveheart quotes that will help you find your freedom.
Frederick Douglass quotes about freedom and progress
1. “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” – Frederick Douglass
2. “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.” – Frederick Douglass
3. “To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker.” –Frederick Douglass
4. “Some know the value of education by having it. I know its value by not having it.” – Frederick Douglass
5. “Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.” – Frederick Douglass
6. “Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground.”- Frederick Douglass
7. “The soul that is within me no man can degrade.” – Frederick Douglass
8. “We have to do with the past only as we can make it useful to the present and the future.” – Frederick Douglass
9. “Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” ― Frederick Douglass
10. “The white man’s happiness cannot be purchased by the black man’s misery.” – Frederick Douglass
Frederick Douglass quotes about slavery
11. “I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.” – Frederick Douglass
12. “No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck.” – Frederick Douglass
13. “Knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave.” – Frederick Douglass
14. “Fugitive slaves were rare then, and as a fugitive slave lecturer, I had the advantage of being the first one out.” – Frederick Douglass
15. “What to the Slave is the 4th of July.” – Frederick Douglass
16. “There is not a man beneath the canopy of Heaven who does not know that slavery is wrong for him.” – Frederick Douglass
17. “Slaves are generally expected to sing as well as to work.” – Frederick Douglass
18. “Slaves sing most when they are most unhappy. The songs of the slave represent the sorrows of his heart; and he is relieved by them, only as an aching heart is relieved by its tears.” – Frederick Douglass
19. “A man who will enslave his own blood, may not be safely relied on for magnamity.” – Frederick Douglass
20. “For of all slaveholders with whom I have ever met, religious slaveholders are the worst. I have ever found them the meanest and basest, the most cruel and cowardly, of all others.” – Frederick Douglass
Powerful Frederick Douglass quotes that’ll open your eyes
21. “Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.” – Frederick Douglass
22. “The thing worse than rebellion is the thing that causes rebellion.” – Frederick Douglass
23. “It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake.” – Frederick Douglass
24. “A smile or a tear has not nationality; joy and sorrow speak alike to all nations, and they, above all the confusion of tongues, proclaim the brotherhood of man.” – Frederick Douglass
25. “The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.” – Frederick Douglass
26. “The destiny of the colored American … is the destiny of America.” ― Frederick Douglass
27. “The man who is right is a majority. He who has God and conscience on his side, has a majority against the universe.” ― Frederick Douglass
28. “Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude.” ― Frederick Douglass
29. “A man is worked upon by what he works on. He may carve out his circumstances, but his circumstances will carve him out as well.” ― Frederick Douglass
30. “Our destiny is largely in our hands.” ― Frederick Douglass
Frederick Douglass quotes that teach and inspire
31. “The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.” – Frederick Douglass
32. “A battle lost or won is easily described, understood, and appreciated, but the moral growth of a great nation requires reflection, as well as observation, to appreciate it.” ― Frederick Douglass
33. “I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong.” ― Frederick Douglass
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of unity quotes about bringing people together.
34. “A man’s character always takes its hue, more or less, from the form and color of things about him.” – Frederick Douglass
35. “People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get.” – Frederick Douglass
36. “Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.” – Frederick Douglass
37. “Man’s greatness consists in his ability to do and the proper application of his powers to things needed to be done.” – Frederick Douglass
38. “Right is of no sex, Truth is of no color, God is the Father of us all, and we are all Brethren.” – Frederick Douglass
39. “The thought of only being a creature of the present and past was troubling. I longed for a future too, with hope in it. The desire to be free, awakened my determination to act, to think, and to speak.” ― Frederick Douglass
40. “I love the pure, peaceable, and impartial Christianity of Christ; I therefore hate the corrupt, slave-holding, women-whipping, cradle-plundering, partial and hypocritical Christianity of this land.” ― Frederick Douglass
Frederick Douglass quotes to elevate your perspective
41. “I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.” – Frederick Douglass
42. “A little learning, indeed, may be a dangerous thing, but the want of learning is a calamity to any people.” –Frederick Douglass
43. “A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me.” ― Frederick Douglass
44. “My hopes were never brighter than now.” ― Frederick Douglass
45. “The relation between the white and colored people of this country is the great, paramount, imperative, and all-commanding question for this age and nation to solve.” ― Frederick Douglass
46. “I will give Mr. Freeland the credit of being the best master I ever had, till I became my own master.” ― Frederick Douglass
47. “Experience is a keen teacher;” ― Frederick Douglass
48. “To enslave men, successfully and safely, it is necessary to have their minds occupied with thoughts and aspirations short of the liberty of which they are deprived. A certain degree of attainable good must be kept before them.” ― Frederick Douglass
49. “He treated me as a man… He did not let me feel for a moment that there was any difference in the color of our skins.” ― Frederick Douglass
50. “They suppress the truth rather than take the consequence of telling it, and in so doing prove themselves a part of the human family.” ― Frederick Douglass
Frederick Douglass quotes that will make you think differently
51. “Men talk of the Negro problem. There is no Negro problem. The problem is whether the American people have honesty enough, loyalty enough, honor enough, patriotism enough to live up to their Constitution”― Frederick Douglass
52. “For my part, I should prefer death to hopeless bondage.”― Frederick Douglass
53. “One and God make a majority.”― Frederick Douglass
54. “Without any appeal to books, to laws, or to authorities of any kind, it was enough to accept God as a father, to regard slavery as a crime. I”― Frederick Douglass
55. “I had a wholesome dread of the consequences of running in debt.”― Frederick Douglass
56. “For no man who lives at all lives unto himself. He either helps or hinders all who are in anywise connected to him.”― Frederick Douglass
57. “Power concedes nothing without demand. It never has and never will. Show me the exact amount of wrong and injustices that are visited upon a person and I will show you the exact amount of words endured by these people.”― Frederick Douglass
58. “Let us render the tyrant no aid; let us not hold the light by which he can trace the footprints of our flying brother.”― Frederick Douglass
59. “From apparently the basest metals we have the finest toned bells.”― Frederick Douglass
60. “You are not judged by the height you have risen, but from the depth you have climbed.”― Frederick Douglass
More Frederick Douglass quotes and sayings
61. “A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.” – Frederick Douglass
62. “Neither we, nor any other people, will ever be respected till we respect ourselves and we will never respect ourselves till we have the means to live respectfully.” – Frederick Douglass
63. “I will unite with anyone to do good, but with no one to do harm.” – Frederick Douglass
64. “Every one of us should be ashamed to be free while his brother is a slave.” – Frederick Douglass
65. “Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one’s thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. It is the right which they, first of all, strike down.” – Frederick Douglass
66. “We may explain success mainly by one word and that word is WORK! WORK!! WORK!!! WORK!!!!” – Frederick Douglass
67. “I know of no rights of race superior to the rights of humanity…” – Frederick Douglass
68. “You have to take power. No one gives it.” – Frederick Douglass
69. “Interpreted as it ought to be interpreted, the constitution is a Glorious Liberty Document!” – Frederick Douglass
90. “No people to whom liberty is given can hold it as firmly and wear it as grandly as those who wrench their liberty from the iron hand of the tyrant.” – Frederick Douglass
You might also like these John Brown quotes about freedom, vision and slavery.
91. “The silver trump of freedom roused in my soul eternal wakefulness.” – Frederick Douglass
92. “Education means emancipation. It means light and liberty. It means the uplifting of the soul of man into the glorious light of truth, the light by which men can only be made free.” – Frederick Douglass
Which of these Frederick Douglass quotes was your favorite?
Despite being born into slavery and receiving minimal formal education, Douglass rose to become a prominent activist, author, and public speaker. He proved that slaves had the intellectual capacity to function as independent American citizens.
Besides being a believer in the equality of all mankind, Douglass also believed in dialogue and in all people uniting irrespective of their race and ideologies. Hopefully, these Frederick Douglass quotes have inspired you to always fight for what is right.
Did you enjoy these quotes? Which of these Frederick Douglass quotes was your favorite? We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.